Friday, January 1, 2016

Mind Shift

2016 is HERE!!!
2015 is old news.
The calendar reads January 1.  A new day, a new year.  A clean slate.  A fresh start.


This is when people tend to set goals and make resolutions.
This is when people dream.
We look to the future and for some reason at this particular time of year, we feel the freedom to think BIG.  All other times we tend to be practical and reasonable.  Realistic.  Down to earth.  We have to be, right?  Bills to pay, responsibilities to fulfill, family to care for, job to work.  We don't have the luxury of dreaming big or thinking outside the box.  We are trapped.  Sadly...

What if 2016 brought about a MIND SHIFT?

What if we didn't just write down some goals, set a few resolutions, and reminscence on some childhood dreams that seem to crazy or impossible now that we're all grown up and more mature?

What if we changed the way we think?
And thus the way we live...


What if we started believing we ARE capable of more?
What if we started trying new things, outside our comfort zone?
What if we stopped playing it safe?
What if we stopped holding back, avoiding risk at any cost?
What if we looked at life in a new light?
THE Light.


Yesterday, as my husband and I talked about the year ahead, he shared how dreaming BIG is foreign to him.  He didn't grow up being taught to dream big.  Instead, you work hard, earn every penny, and are a good steward of what you have.  All good things.  I want our girls to have those principles, BUT I also want to instill in them the belief that they CAN do BIG things.  I want them to know that if they put their mind to something and work hard at it, they can accomplish ANYTHING.  I want them to understand there are NO limits to what God can do in and through them as they open themselves up to Him and give Him the freedom to be the BIG, powerful, generous God He is.  I want them to know we will support them as they pursue whatever dreams God lays on their hearts.  I want them to recognize that if God stirs something up within them, He has a reason for that and will supply ALL they need to make that dream a reality.  He wants to build His kingdom here on earth and in some way my girls will play a part in that.  I am excited to see their role both NOW and as they grow up.  I certainly don't want anything to hold them back.  Especially not the mentality that the extraordinary is impossible.

Because it's not.
Not when you serve a God who excels at the impossible.
And then works within us to enable us do ALL things through the power of Christ.


Unfortunately, too many people can relate to my husband.
Not only is dreaming BIG absurd to them, but they feel UNWORTHY of such lofty goals.
Who are they to make 6 figures?
Who are they to travel the world?
Who are they to have a nice house?
Who are they to not have to worry about finances in any way?


You see, FAR too many people believe that lie.
I'm not anyone special.
I don't deserve such a good life.
I'm not worthy.

LIES.
LIES.
LIES.
Straight from the pit of hell.

I want nothing more than to throw them back into that blasted lake of fire and watch them melt in the flames.  I want nothing to do with these lies that chain us down and prevent us from experiencing and enjoying the ABUNDANT life Jesus left heaven and came to earth to make possible for us.


As God has worked in my heart and mind to help me change the way I think, I have become quite passionate about helping others do the same.  I have been freed to set others free.

My heart breaks when I hear people talk the way my husband was the other day.
I want to speak TRUTH into their lives, to show them how much God loves them, and to help them realize how He DELIGHTS in blessing His children.  I want them to understand that they may not be worthy, BUT God doesn't see their faults or shortcomings.  Oh no, He looks at us with LOVE.  We are His children.  He sent His only Son to DIE in our place so that we might be reconciled to Him and have a personal relationship with Him.   If He would do THAT, why would He then not want to bless us?!!  Makes NO sense.


Indeed, God DOES want to bless us.
Just as I explained to my husband how we delight in doing things for our girls, God takes pleasure in blessing us.  He finds joy in our joy.  Like yesterday - we took the girls to Chick-fil-A for an ice cream treat.  They had done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to deserve this.  To be honest, they probably needed to go home, clean up their rooms and put away their toys, take a nap, and go to bed.  BUT, we took them to CFA instead and watched with DELIGHT as they smiled from ear to ear holding their ice cream cones.


We may not be worthy of anything on our dream board (if you have never made one, I encourage you to do so).  BUT, that doesn't matter.  GOD loves us, more than we could ever even begin to fathom.  As the apostle Paul reminds us, "no eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love Him."


As we begin this new year, more than anything I want to encourage you to have a MIND SHIFT.
Stop believing the lie that you aren't worthy.
Every time Satan whispers that lie in your ear or shouts it in your face, you fight back.
You tell him to SHUT UP.
And then start speaking God's Word.  Boldly. With confidence.
You let Satan know the truth about who you are.


The more you say it, the more you will believe it yourself.
So post these truths where you can see them every single day.
Repeat them to yourself.  OFTEN.
Pray and ask God to help you believe them.  Not just in your head, but in your heart of hearts.


As you do, everything will change.
The way you think about yourself.
The way you see others.
The way you look at situations.
The way you set goals.
The way you dream.
The way you LIVE.


I understand this can be difficult.  Like my husband and I talked about, this is a new concept to him and so many of you.  It's not going to happen overnight.  BUT, we MUST let God do this MIND SHIFT if we are to become the people He created us to be.  We MUST let God out of the box we have trapped Him in.  Then, He can free us from the box we have climbed into ourselves.

Oh the possiblities once that happens!
I get goosebumps thinking about it!

I'll be writing more about this whole idea of dreaming big and understanding who you are in God's eyes.  I truly believe you can't do the former until you grasp the latter.  I want 2016 to be the year things change, the year we have a MIND SHIFT.  Fling open those gates, let the King of Glory come in and watch in amazement as He blows your mind and uses YOU to accomplish things you never imagined possible!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive