Thursday, January 17, 2013

13 Going on 30

Kellah is 13 months old today.  No matter how many times Lawrence or I tell the girls, "You have to stay this size forever," they don't seem to listen to us because they keep growing up!

Well, maybe Kellah has been listening better than we think.  She is after all still wearing size 6-9 month clothes, quite comfortably.  In fact, I still have to roll up her pant legs or she'll trip over them!  I just put her to bed in a size 3-6 month sleeper, and it's not even tight yet.  I haven't put her on the scale recently, but she can't be over 17 pounds.
Despite her newest workout routine, I highly doubt she's gained a whole pound since last month, but then again, she does like to surprise me at times!

Like yesterday...

We have started "potting training," so to speak, as one of my daycare boys has begun the potty training process.  It's more mommy training on my part, as I need to remember to "take her to the bathroom" every 30 minutes or so (which is much easier said than done when I have 4 kids under the age of 3 from 7 am to 4 pm every day).  It's also just the beginning stages of exposing her to the idea of using the potty to pee and poop.  And so, I am now changing her diaper in the bathroom and explaining to her that now that she's getting to be a big girl she will be learning how to use the potty.  I even have her sit on the little potty, just for fun.  Crazy thing is, she stays there, most of the time.  The other day I forgot to bring a new diaper into the bathroom with me so I ran back to her room to get one; when I returned to the bathroom, Kellah was still sitting on the potty.  She is so darn cute doing it too!

Anyway, she must be a good listener and actually pay attention when I announce countless times throughout the day, "I'm going to go potty like a big girl."  I usually follow that up with an invitation, "Does anyone else need to go potty?"  The kids are all going to follow me to the bathroom anyway, so I figure I might as well give them a reason to come.  Well, yesterday, I noticed that Kellah was starting to get that "I'm going to poop" face.  I quickly pointed out, "Kellah, you're pooping.  Where do we want to go poop?"  Without another word, Kellah made her way to the bathroom and gave me the biggest, proudest smile as she banged on the door.  By the time I got her pants and diaper cover off and snappy undone and diaper off, she had finished doing her business.  Or so I thought.  I went ahead and sat her on the little potty and reminder her, "This is where we want to go potty."  By the time I had taken care of her dirty diaper and exclaimed with overwhelming joy that the poop was now in the potty, Kellah was ready to get off her potty.  I went to close the lid, only to discover that she had actually gone pee!  Talk about doing a happy dance and making a HUGE deal about her accomplishment -- accident or not!

I would be more inclined to think this was a fluke incident, but lately Kellah has been showing us that she is really catching on to the ins and outs of our regular life.  When I ask if she's ready to eat or if I announce to the family that supper's ready, she will walk over to her highchair and pull her bib off the seat.  She then brings it to Lawrence or me to put it on her.  Crazy girl knows she is SUPPOSED to wear a bib and sit in her highchair to eat, but for some reason she is determined to stand up over and over and over again and attempts to crawl out onto the tray of her highchair multiple times throughout the meal.  Did I mention the girl is STUBBORN?!

She also has started bringing me her cape and shoes (or at least a pair of shoes, even if they're not hers) when I mention that we are going to go to the store or play outside.  She also hands me the daycare boys' coats and shoes when I explain that their moms will be here soon and we need to start getting ready for them to go home.

For quite awhile now, the second anyone mentions the words, "bath time," Kellah drops whatever she is doing and runs to the bathroom door.  Sometimes she even tries to take off her clothes by herself!  The girls LOVES playing in the water.  If only she would understand that sitting in the bathtub is much safer than standing and walking in it!

Maybe she was listening to Brian Williams the other night on Rock Center when he did a story how we as Americans sit too much and need to spend more time up on our feet and moving around throughout the day.

Kellah has also started "reading" books as of late.  Instead of eating the corners of them, she will pick one up and flip through the pages.  Her favorite two books right now are Baby's First 100 Animals and her Baby Beginner Bible.  I will find her sitting in her room looking at the pictures, content to be all by herself with her book.  Hmmmmm, I wonder if she's been watching her big sister.  Who by the way, is currently in her room reading books in her bed.  She's been at it for about an hour and will probably keep on reading until Lawrence and I go to bed around 10 pm!  This is an almost nightly occurrence in our house.  I can only imagine what bedtime (and the hours after) will look like once the girls share a room!


She may be small, but Kellah has no fear and jumps right in to join whatever is going on around her -- even if the kids are four times her age/size!


At the library for Toddler Storytime, she is right in the mix reaching for bubbles, clapping her hands, playing the shakers, and even getting in line to hand her shakers back in when the music part is over.

Kellah also has no fear of heights and LOVES to climb.
Last week, I caught her hanging onto the handle of a drawer and attempting to use it to help her walk up the side of the dresser!  Chairs, tables, toys, beds, and anything else you can think of must shout out, "Climb me" to Kellah.
I am not sure if my heart can handle this "bravery."  Though I do pray she has no fear in standing up for Jesus and doing what's right even if she is the only one.  I also pray she will be a go-getter and jump right in when it comes to telling people about Jesus.

I am also seeing more of her joy and humor coming out lately, and am praying she uses these traits for good. I fear both of our girls might be class clowns and having many a parent-teacher conference about their giggling, talking, trying to be silly during instruction or independent work time.  I do love, however, that she will come up to me and give me a big hug and slobbery kiss.  Sometimes she will even lift my shirt up and "zurbert" my belly button.  She can be a little stinker with her humor, though.  She will try to run away from us when it's time to get dressed or to sneak back into the bathtub while we get her pajamas ready or hide behind the curtain in her room.
Her precious little laugh makes up for her "misbehaving."  Most of the time.  I tell her, "Cute can only get you so far."  Cute does not cut it when she tries to play with the electrical outlets (one of her favorite past times), for example!

I am trying to think of other things I need to write about for her milestones and accomplishments this past month.  I am coming up blank, so either I'm tired or I have exhausted my memory.  Or both.  Seeing as how Kellah still doesn't sleep all night on a regular basis yet, I am somewhat sleep deprived.  I am loving all the cuddles and special one-on-one time I will never get with my Kellah Bear again.  I know she won't be small forever, that she won't listen to us when we jokingly tell her and Coralyn they have to stay this size and call us Mommy and Daddy no matter how old they get.

And so I will just cherish every day with her and make the most of this precious time I have with her, and Coralyn.  I am so blessed to be their Mommy and wouldn't want any other job in the world!!!


Of course, I'm pretty fond of their Daddy too! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive