Friday, January 30, 2015

Foreigner or Tourist?

Usually, when I start a new book of the Bible, I breeze through the first couple verses in a rush to get to the "good stuff," the heart of the letter (in this case at least since I was going back to the beginning of 1 Peter).

This morning, however, I got stuck so to speak on the "greeting."  I had to camp out on those 2 verses because they really had so much to teach me.  Simple lessons you would think I would know by now, having been a Jesus follower for nearly two and a half decades (man, am I really that old?!).  Yet, Peter's words caught my attention in a new way today, so I slowed down and took time to digest what he was really saying as he began his letter to "God's chosen people who are living as foreigners in the lands of Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocis, the province of Asia, and Bithynia."

I am not a geography buff and don't really know where all those places are, nor did I grab a map to find out. Instead, the word FOREIGNER hopped off the page.

Looking back at my scrawls and scribbles from this morning, the questions I jotted down have been swirling around in my head and heart for the past few months.  Perhaps that is why I connected so deeply with Peter's description of the believers receiving his letter - "God's chosen people who are living as FOREIGNERS..."  

Is this all there is?
More to life?
Something missing?
Longing for something more, something better?

Lately, I have felt God working in my heart, stirring up some pretty big dreams, arousing some pretty intense passions.  I have been "restless" - hence I thoroughly enjoyed Jennie Allen's book and was challenged and encouraged and inspired on so many levels as her words affirmed what I seemed to be hearing God whisper in my ear time and time again.  


As I noted this morning, this feeling, this longing is a GOOD thing.  Why?  Why is it good to feel unsettled, to sense a bigger purpose for life?  Because those questions lead to a yearning to make my life count, to make a difference, for my days to truly matter.  And those desires cause me to step out of my comfort zone, to live by faith, to do what's scary, to trust God, and ultimately to allow Him to use me in ways I never would have imagined to do things I never would have accomplished without giving Him the freedom to let the power and wisdom and grace and peace and hope and joy and strength of His Spirit flow freely though me.  

Peter's words this morning reminded me that I am on the right path, that I am indeed running the race marked out for me.  I may not have been one of the original receiptents of his letter, but too am one of "God's chosen people living as a FOREIGNER..."  

Before I was born, God had my days written in His book, good plans prepared in advance for me to do. (Psalm 139:13-16; Ephesians 2:10)

Before I was born, He called me by name (Isaiah 49:1) and set me apart for a specific purpose here on this earth (Jeremiah 1:5).

Yes, I am chosen.
I am a child of the King.
Adopted into God's family, ransomed and redeemed by the precious blood of Jesus.

And as a daughter of God, I must remember that this world is NOT my permanent home (Hebrews 13:14).  Rather, I am only passing through, on my way to my Father's House, where I will live with Him, in His glorious presence forever and ever and ever and ever...

As such, then, I can't get distracted by all the bells and whistles, the glitter and glamor, the things this world has to offer that look oh so good but will one day all too soon pass away and mean nothing in light of eternity.  

THAT is what Peter was hitting on when he wrote his fellow believers, "God's chosen people living as FOREIGNERS..."  

It's as if he was reminding his brothers and sisters in Christ, "You're not home yet, so don't get too comfortable."  


This is much easier said than done, I fear.

You see, the things of this world draw us in.
Bilboards, commericals, magazine ads, facebook newsfeeds, tweets, and Instagram photos tell us we need this and that, to look a certain way, get more, have the newest, biggest, bestest stuff.  We fall prey to the lies that we are supposed to keep up with the Jones.  

And as we do, we forget we are FOREIGNERS.
We lose sight of the unseen.
We get caught up in the here and now, and the "realities of heaven" get put on the back burner.
We are blinded by all the neon lights.
The noise of this world deafens us to the call of our heavenly Father.

We get comfortable.
We settle in.
We make ourselves at home.
Forgetting we are FOREIGNERS.


As I was thinking about this concept this morning, I jotted down, "Foreinger vs. Tourist?"
I began to wonder if we see ourselves as tourists - trying to take in all the sights, experience all the thrills, buying souveniors, and taking selfies to capture the memories.

I wanted to know if this mindset of being tourists rather than FOREIGNERS affects the way we pursue Jesus, the way we look forward to His return, and thus the way we live day in and day out every single day we are still here on this earth.

But then, I had to ask myself, "What's the difference?  IS there a difference?"

So, I would love to hear from YOU.
In terms of the spiritual walk, what - if any - is the difference between being a foreigner and a tourist?





No comments:

Post a Comment