Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Big Baby

Usually being called a "big baby" isn't a compliment. But today, and every day for that matter, I would be honored to be known as a "big baby." As long as we're referring to my relationship with God, that is!

This morning as I did my homework for the Beth Moore Bible study I am doing, I read Psalm 131. David opens by saying that he is not proud or haughty and that he doesn't get involved in matters that are too difficult for him. (Boy, would I love to be able to honestly say all those nice things about myself!) Instead, he compares himself to a small child who is with his mother. Since he's using contrast I am going to assume that this particular child isn't hungry, tired, whiny, or fussy. No, this child is happy and content, sitting quietly in his mother's lap, enjoying a good snuggle, perfectly at peace in his mother's arms, trusting her fully with his very life.

I remember those days. When Coralyn would let me hold her and rock her. She didn't squirm or fidget. Of course she couldn't even roll over on her own yet, but hey the moments were sweet and precious nonetheless. Every once in awhile I will get to enjoy a quick cuddle with Coralyn, but for the most part she is a very busy little girl with no time (or patience) to sit still on my lap.

Even though I don't get to experience the peace of a child resting in my arms very often, I can definitely relate to the concept of a child trusting me completely with her life. Coralyn has no sense of fear. At least not when I am there with her, to help her down the steps or climb up on the jungle gym. She just steps right off, fully expecting me to hold her hand and make sure she reaches the ground safely. Or she will just move on up the stairs, trusting that I am behind her in case she trips and falls back. I love that! Coralyn has never asked me, "Mama, are you going to hold my hand and make sure I am okay?" She just trusts that I will. She doesn't stop to consider that I would let her go or stand by and watch as she puts herself in harm's way. Why not? Because as her mother I would never do those things! It's not in my mama DNA. And somehow, without us ever having a conversation about this, Coralyn knows this to be true. So she simply trusts me with her very life.

The same needs to be true of me as God's child.

It's a choice though. David writes, "BUT I have stilled and quieted my soul..." Obviously, there was a decision to be made. He could be proud and haughty and get involved in things way over his head or he could be like a small child. Apparently, David went with option #2. I want to do the same, to choose to rest in my Father's lap and enjoy His presence. Recently, I have been glad to climb into His arms and feel the warmth of His strong, yet gentle, embrace. I have known His comfort and heard His reassuring whispers, "Everything's going to be okay. I'm right here." I think of the times Coralyn has fallen and come to me crying. I pick her up and wrap my arms tightly around her. I give her kisses and tell her she's going to be fine. I rub her back and stroke her hair. I hold her until her tears are gone and she is ready to face the challenges of life as a toddler once more. What a beautiful thought to know that God does the same with me, His beloved daughter, when I am hurting or confused or just need a hug.

The thing is that I too often start to fidget and squirm and end up jumping out of my Father's lap, running off to do my own thing.

I hope, though, that when I get to a point where I need God's help, I trust Him, completely. I don't need to stop and ask if He will be there with me or if He is going to take care of me. That's a given. That's who He is. It's part of His God DNA. So, I just have to take the next step, and as I do, His hand will be holding mine, keeping me steady and leading me to safety. And I bet just like I smile when Coralyn "jumps" off the front porch expecting me to catch her, God loves when I trust Him fully with my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive