Wednesday, December 19, 2012

That's My Final Answer

Ever since Friday, I have been trying to get my mind wrapped around what happened in Connecticut.  But I can't.  No matter how hard I try, I simply can NOT understand why in the world someone would do something so horrific.  Except that I know we live in a fallen, sinful world.  Somehow, though, that explanation doesn't seem to satisfy my heart, which is broken and hurting, shattered into a million pieces as I mourn specifically for the parents who will never hold their children in their arms again.

I can not even begin to fathom their grief and pain.  I really, honestly, don't want to.  Who would?  No parent thinks, "This might be the last time I see my child," as they wave to the bus driving down the street or kiss their son or daughter good-bye, wishing them a good day as they pull up to the school drop-off zone.

At least we didn't think that way before Friday.  I am pretty sure plenty of parents were hesitant to send their "babies" off to school come Monday morning, whether they lived in Newtown or Seattle or Austin or Tampa or Chicago or anywhere in between.

In the past several days, the news has covered the tragedy and those involved from seemingly every possible angle.  One of the top issues being discussed is gun control. Over and over again I keep hearing that getting rid of guns is the answer.

If only it were that simple.

Another comment I have heard from quite a few people is something along the lines of, "I'm never sending my kids to public schools."  Sadly, public schools are not the problem.  Bad things can happen in private or religious schools too.  Others have proclaimed, "I'm homeschooling my kids!"  Again, that does not ensure that nothing bad will ever happen to your children.  Shootings can happen at the mall or a movie theater, as they have already this year, or anywhere else for that matter.  I heard on the news this morning that a threat was made at the Wal-Mart in the very city where I live.  I was just at the store earlier this week, with Coralyn and Kellah in tow.

The truth of the matter is we can't protect our children, not completely at least.  We can hold them close, keep them at our side, cover their eyes and ears, and do our best to shield them from the evil all around us.  None of that is a guarantee that our children will be safe, however.  I wish it were.

I want to be able to say in absolute confidence, and honesty for that matter, to my little girls, "You're safe.  Nothing bad will happen to you.  I will always be with you," and other things along those lines.  I would be flat out lying if I did.

And so I am left not knowing what to say.  Or do.

Is there even an answer out there?  Or are we left crying out, "Why?  Why?  WHY?!"

I'm not here to say that I have the answer or that I have everything figured out.  Far from it.

BUT, at the same time, I can say beyond a shadow of doubt, with no hesitation whatsoever, that I do indeed know THE ANSWER.  Not a "know" as in head knowledge, but rather "know" as in my heart, through personal experience because of a special relationship I have.  You see, the answer is not a what, but rather a WHO.

And I know Him.

His name is Jesus.

He is my God, my King, my Savior, my Friend.

He is my Rock, my Fortress, my Shield, my Shelter.

He is my Hope, my Joy, my Peace, my Everything.

And He alone is The Answer.

Taking away guns isn't going to solve the problem (I'm not trying to get into a discussion about gun control or the lack of it).

Sending your kids to a private or religious school or homeschooling them yourself isn't the solution either.

While those things may indeed help, they are not the real, true answer.

Jesus Himself said, "I am THE way, THE truth, and THE life."

He invites all of us, "Come to Me, you who are weary and heavily burdened.  Come to me, and I will give you rest."

He promises, "I will never leave you or forsake you."

Some people have doubted that, questioning, "Where was God in all of this?  Why did He let this happen?!"

Once more, I don't know why this happened or how God is at work in this terrible situation.  I do believe, though, that He was indeed there with the students and teachers of Sandy Hook Elementary.  I believe He is still there, extending His arms to those who are hurting, offering comfort and peace that the world cannot give, no matter how hard we may try.

I am still working on figuring out how to respond to this tragedy.  I know that I will fall short every time, that I will never be able to explain things or answer all the questions.  The best I can do is this:

The Lord hears His people when they call for help.
He rescues them from all their troubles.
The Lord is close to the brokenhearted;
He rescues those whose spirits are crushed.
~Psalm 34:17-18

God is our refuge and strength,
always ready to help in times of trouble.
~Psalm 46:1

O my people, trust in Him at all times.
Pour our your heart to Him,
for God is our refuge.
~Psalm 62:8

Celebrating Christmas doesn't seem quite right, knowing that these parents will never get to see their children open the presents already bought, wrapped, and placed under the tree.  But, as I have been telling Coralyn over and over again the past several weeks, Christmas isn't about getting presents.  

It's about Jesus.  

It's about celebrating the fact that God Himself came to earth, in the form a newborn baby, so that we could have everlasting life and enjoy and a close, personal relationship with Him.

And that, my friends, is what all of us need more than anything else.  That, and that alone, is the answer to the problems and troubles of this world.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive