Saturday, March 30, 2013

Jesus, Jesus, Precious Jesus

Yesterday, we went to get new tires on the Yukon.  While we were waiting in the lobby area, Coralyn started watching the TV.  It was on the History Channel and they were playing a special on the death of Jesus, going into great detail about the crucifixion.  At first I didn't know if she should really be watching them beat Jesus, explain how his heart would have had an aneurysm, push the crown of thorns into his head, and finally nail his hands and feet to the prickly, wooden cross.  But, she insisted and was fascinated by all of it, so I agreed to let her watch. Plus, it made for a great opportunity to share the gospel with the others in the waiting area.

"Coralyn, who is that?"

"Jesus!"

"Why is that happening to Him?"

"He's dying on the cross for our sins!"

From the mouths of babes!

Well, the wait was going to be about two hours, so we headed to JC Penny to look around and then to Aldi to get groceries.  When we were done shopping, the car still wasn't quite fixed, so I waited with Kellah at Aldi (handing out samples of greens and wrap coupons like a crazy woman, but who can refuse free stuff from an adorable little redheaded girl?).  Lawrence took Coralyn with him to the shop, where they waited and watched more of the History Channel's special on Jesus.

As we are driving home, finally, Coralyn is sitting in her car seat, saying over and over and over again, "Jesus!  Jesus!  Jesus!"

We were listening to K-Love and they too were talking about Good Friday and Jesus' sacrifice made on our behalf.  Coralyn heard what they were saying and got all excited, "See, Jesus died on the cross for our sins!"

I LOVE that even at her young age she understands God's love for us that was displayed when Jesus died on the cross for our sins.  He had never done anything wrong, and yet He was beaten, mocked, bruised, whipped, insulted, and crucified -- ALL ON OUR BEHALF!  He took our place, bearing our sin and paying its penalty, DEATH.  He died, so that we might live.

Last weekend, we remembered my grandma's life.  Yes, her physical body died, but her soul did not.  It is alive and well, in heaven, with Jesus.  Coralyn so aptly pointed this out as we were watching a slideshow of pictures.  She saw one of Grandma Ruth, and without a second's hesitation, announced to everyone there, "That's Grandma Ruth in heaven!"  My dad about lost it!  But it's true.  Grandma is in heaven with Jesus, pain free and playing cards to her heart's content!

Coralyn didn't quite understand why the memorial service wasn't up in the sky since that is where Grandma Ruth is -- up in heaven with Jesus.  I tried explaining, but a three-year old can only comprehend so much.  A few days ago, she was reading a book I had gotten out about Jesus.  When she reached the page where Jesus was ascending into heaven, she asked, "How is Jesus going to get us to heaven?"  I answered, "Well, He's going to make us go up in the air to meet Him so He can take us there with Him."  So she wanted to know, "Oh, we will be able to fly?"  "Sort of, yes, I guess..." I responded, not really knowing what to say.  "Are we going to have wings?" was her next question, to which I had no answer.  She's just too inquisitive for her own good! :)

Today, we made cheesecake for dessert for tomorrow's lunch.  I had Coralyn beat the graham crackers for the crust in a bag, and explained that Jesus was beaten before He died.  I got the idea from a friend who posted a recipe about Resurrection Cookies, which we will be making this evening.  Coralyn's heart is just so sensitive and ripe; she's like a sponge, soaking up everything I tell her.

When I reminded her that everyone who believes in Jesus will go to heaven, she answered adamantly, "But I believe."  Yes, my dear, you do.   And it brings tears of joy to my eyes to know that.

No, she hasn't said a prayer asking Jesus into her heart.

No, she hasn't filled out any response cards or gone forward at an altar call.

She doesn't need to.

She knows Jesus loves her and died on the cross for her sins.
She also knows that He didn't stay dead, but is alive and in heaven making a place for her to live with Him forever and ever!

And that is enough!

My heart is fuller than ever as I think about Easter this year.  Reading stories and answering Coralyn's questions has made ME reflect on Jesus' death, His sacrifice, His love.  As she beat those graham crackers, I pictured Jesus under the whip and I couldn't help but flinch.  As I thought of those nails being driven through His wrists and ankles, I cringed even more, knowing it was MY SIN that took Him to the cross.  The sadness on Coralyn's face as we spoke of Jesus' death was so real and genuine.  As was her joy when we remembered that He didn't stay dead but rose again and is getting heaven ready for us!

I can't help but smile as I think about Coralyn sitting in her car seat shouting and singing her heart out, "Jesus Jesus!  Jesus!"

Reminds me of the song with the lyrics, "Jesus, Jesus, Precious Jesus....'tis so sweet to trust in Jesus."

And also this one: "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, sweetest name I know."

I am looking forward to celebrating His resurrection tomorrow and praising His name all the day long!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive