Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Kyiah Hesed {Birth Story}

Where do I start?
The past 30 hours have been a whirlwind of excitement and emotion and activity in the Young household.

About 26 hours ago, I was at the library with the girls for Story Time.  Miss Melissa and I joked around that I had made it for the last one of the month, how I didn't ever like to miss out on anything.  I talked with the mom sitting next to me, as we have become friends over the past several weeks.  She had bought a wrap the week before and was interested in ordering on-line, so I promised to send her the information once I got home from the prenatal appointment I had scheduled later in the afternoon.

After the library, we went to Aspen Athletic Club so I could take a walk and maybe help get baby moving.  While I was walking, a man came up to me and asked how far along I was, and his jaw about dropped when I told him my due date was Thursday (tomorrow).  Imagine what he would have done if I had told him my original due date was November 4?!  We talked for a bit, chatting about the motorcycle club he's in and how Lawrence dreams of having a bike of his own someday.  I gave him a coupon for an It Works wrap (that he said his girlfriend might be interested in) and a sample of greens.  At least he knew where I was getting all my energy to be walking over 2 miles at 40 weeks pregnant! :)

24 hours ago I was leaving the gym, after walking 2.5 miles on the treadmill and chatting with the ladies who took Coralyn and Kellah while I got my work out in for the day.

I had packed a lunch and snack for myself to eat in the car as we drove to the Overland Park area for my prenatal appointment.  I got the girls their food and we headed on our way.  About 10 minutes into the trip, I felt like I had a mild contraction - enough that I had to focus and concentrate on my breathing.  My back had really been hurting when I was walking, so I just figured it was still sore from that.  Didn't really think anything of it, until about 10 minutes later, I had another very similar contraction.  When I had a third one, 10 minutes later, I put the heater on in my seat and made it so the lumbar support was pushing on my back quite nicely.  That felt a little better, but 10 minutes later when I had a 4th contraction, I was still forcing myself to breathe deeply and relax as much as possible while navigating through the wonderful (and seemingly never-ending) construction on I-35.  I actually missed the exit to my midwife's house because I was distracted with yet another contraction.  I took the next exit, turned around, and made it to her house, slowly getting out of the car and carrying a sleeping Kellah to the door while Coralyn tagged behind us.

The prenatal visit was great.  My blood pressure was normal.  Baby's heart beat was great.  The girls played with toys while I talked with the midwife and her assistant.  Kellah had to go to the bathroom, but since I was laying down and listening to the baby's heartbeat, we didn't make it in time and my midwife ended up helping me change a poopy diaper, while I was having a contraction mind you!  After a bit, the girls and I gathered our things and headed on our way, joking with the midwife (Amber) that I would give her a call if anything truly exciting started to happen.  Neither one of us really thought too much of any of the mild contractions I had throughout the time at her house.  She offered to send some towels with me just in case I would need them on the way home, but she wasn't serious and we laughed at the idea of me having the baby that soon!

Around 2:30, I pulled into my driveway -- having had contractions all the way home, but this time about 8 minutes apart.  Still really didn't think anything of them and responded to a message from a friend who wanted to know if it would be okay for her to come over around 3 to talk about It Works and get a wrap.  Sure thing!!!

Kellah had fallen asleep again, so I quietly carried her upstairs and laid her down for a nap.  I made my way back downstairs to the kitchen.  I put the defrosted chicken in the fridge, grabbed some peppers and onions to chop up, and got some rice ready to cook for supper.  Then, I got out some yogurt and peanut butter to snack on, but before I could enjoy any, the doorbell rang.  My friend was here!

I invited her in, we wrapped her up, and I answered some questions about being an It Works distributor.  By this point, I was having contractions every 5 minutes or so, but doing everything I could to not let my friend know anything was up.  I would just shift in my seat, get up to get a drink, or excuse myself to go to the bathroom -- at one point I was in the bathroom with a pretty good contraction and hoping she wouldn't hear me breathing loudly through it.  Nope!!  We got her unwrapped, marveled at her results, and she was on her way a little after 4.

As soon as she left, I shoved some yogurt in my mouth, but after just a few bites, Coralyn wanted some too.  I handed the entire container to her, with a spoon, and told her to have the rest.  While she ate, I leaned over the kitchen counter and breathed through yet another contraction - quite a bit stronger this time.  Coralyn asked me what was wrong.  "My stomach just hurts.  The baby might be coming soon."  She got excited and wanted to know if the baby was coming TODAY!  "I don't know.  Maybe."  Didn't want to get her hopes up or anything.

When the contraction was over, I looked over at the computer and noticed I had 3 messages on my facebook screen.  2 were from former childbirth students and 1 was from a friend interested in ordering some greens.  I messaged one of the students back, "No baby yet  My back hurts a bit, but other than that I'm good.  Just impatient."  That was 4:28.  I messaged the friend, telling her to give me a call I was free right then and could get her order in.  Her husband called minutes later and I signed him up on the computer, having multiple contractions during that conversation, and again doing my best to not let anyone know I was in pain at the time.

When I got off the phone, I looked over at the clock.  4:32.  I really didn't want to call Lawrence at school yet because I would have to go through the office.  The secretary would be there and then she would know something was up.  I didn't want anyone to know I was in labor because I didn't want to be under a time pressure from anyone (not that they would do that, but I just didn't want anyone to know until baby was done and born).  BUT, I was to the point where I decided I really could use Lawrence's help to relax through the contractions.  Not to mention some counter pressure on my back would feel amazing!

So, as another contraction started, I got on my hands and knees on the kitchen floor and dialed the school's number.  Karen, one of the secretaries answered and I calmly replied, "Hey this is Sarah.  Could you transfer me to Lawrence's room."  She got all excited and asked, "Are you in labor?!"  Not to get her overly anxious or let her know I was having a pretty rough contraction at that very moment, I just answered, "Maybe..."  "Oh my goodness!  I'm going to transfer you right now!!!"  Seconds later, I heard Lawrence's voice and again tried to remain calm, cool, and collected, "I think you should come home now."  Fighting back tears, I hung up and texted Amber, "I'm having a good contraction every 5-8 minutes.  I just called Lawrence.  I'll let you know when we want you to come."

By this point, I was feeling some pressure really low.  A LOT of pressure.  I made my way to the bathroom and heard the garage door opening.  I told Coralyn to go out and tell Daddy I was in the bathroom, which she did.  I'm not sure where she went after that, exactly, but I know Lawrence came into the bathroom.  Another contraction hit and I leaned on him and told him, "Pray!"  He did. When the contraction was over, he ran upstairs to get the birth tub filled with water.  Coralyn must have followed him because when I got to the top of the stairs, she was holding the hose and helping Daddy, and doing just what he asked her to do.  So proud of her!

At the top of the stairs, I got an email saying my new loyal customer was enrolled and I had another contraction.  Then, I made my way to the bedroom, where I leaned over on the bed and yelled for Lawrence to come.  He asked me where I was and ran to find me.  I told him to push on my back, and he did.  Then, he cussed because he realized he hadn't put the liner in the birth tub before starting to fill it with water!  After the contraction, he ran to turn off the water, grab the hose from Coralyn, and try to fix the problem.  While all that was happening, my water broke.  In the bedroom. By my bed.

I knew this wasn't a good sign.  In that I knew this baby was coming.  FAST.  With Coralyn my water broke at 7 am and she was born at 8.  With Kellah my water broke and with the next contraction her head was out.  And so I knew this baby was going to come much sooner than I had expected!  As quickly as I could, I shuffled to the bathroom, took of my soaking pants and socks, and sent a text to Amber, "Water broke."  Then, I went to sit on the toilet, figuring that was the best place to be when this baby came since we didn't have any towels or anything out yet.  Another contraction came, and I screamed for Lawrence to come.  Again, he didn't know where I was and had to run to find me.  He turned the light on and I promptly yelled for him to turn it back off, not wanting the lights in my eyes.

He came and knelt down in front of me, and I told him, "The baby is coming!"  He didn't realize I meant like right at that very second.  "Okay," he responded and then kind of did a double take as the baby's head appeared!  "OKAY!" he sighed, this time with a bit more emotion and a lot of surprise.

We sat there and waited.  Not knowing what to do, Lawrence asked if I wanted to try to get to the birth tub.  "We don't have time for that!"  I didn't really know what position to get in or what to do, so I just kind of leaned forward a bit more, trying not to push for fear of tearing as this baby made its way into the world.  With the next contraction, the rest of the body slid out and we lifted the baby to my chest.

Immediately we checked and announced to each other, "It's a girl!"  Then, we turned our attention to her cord which was wrapped around her neck.  God helped me remain calm and notice that all I needed to do was turn her and lift the cord from her stomach and over her head.  She was pink and crying within seconds!

In awe that we had just delivered our baby without our midwife, we looked at each other and then down at our beautiful, precious, perfect little girl.  Wow!!!

Lawrence went to call Amber and let her know the baby had come.  It was 4:54.  Just 22 minutes after I had called him to come home.

She heard crying and thought it was Kellah.  No, she was just in her crib -- having woken up from her nap when I had reached the top of the stairs earlier. She had started calling out to us, but seeing as how neither one of us could help her, Coralyn had taken it upon herself to go and play with her little sister in her room.  Again, so proud of her!!!

We asked Amber what to do - should we cut the cord or anything.  She told us to wait until she got there with her sterile scissors.  She wanted me to go ahead and get on the bed and lie flat to make sure I didn't have any excessive bleeding.  Lawrence went into the bedroom to lay out the chunx pads, and I sat there on the toilet holding our baby girl.  When I went to get up, I noticed I felt a heaviness kind of holding me back.  I looked down and there in the toilet was the placenta!!!  I hadn't even felt a contraction or anything to let me know it had come already.  We think maybe it just came out with the baby...

So, Lawrence got a bowl, picked up the placenta out of the toilet, and placed it in the bowl under me.  We awkwardly made our way to the bed.  Poor Lawrence, he doesn't know anything about chunx pads and had put them all over the bed, but upside down.  We took care of that, and I climbed into bed with baby.  Again, not sure what the girls were doing, but they did a great job playing I guess. I didn't see Coralyn until the door beeped to let us know Amber had arrived.  Coralyn greeted her at the top of the steps with a big smile and letting her know, "The baby is here!"  Kellah wanted in on the action too and called out for Daddy again.

While Amber checked on me and the baby, Lawrence got the girls.  Kellah had another poopy diaper, so he got to change that one!  We filled Amber in on the birth and laughed at how fast everything had happened.

After a bit, Lawrence clamped and cut the cord.

Amber checked out the placenta.  We weighed and measured the baby.


Amber emptied the water from the birth tub and deflated it - too bad we never had the chance to actually use it.  Within 2 hours of her arriving, everything was cleaned up and we were a happy family of 5.

The girls were excited to meet their new sister.


We were just blown away by God's presence throughout the birth!!!  We prayed that this baby's arrival would bring Him much glory and honor, and we certainly think little miss Kyiah Hesed did just that as she made her bold and FAST entrance into the world!

I'll have to write more about her name and the special meaning behind it later.  Right now, my little girl seems to need me!!! :)



3 comments:

  1. Such a great story!! So thankful God watched over you and Kayiah during the birth!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. I loved reading it!! What an amazing story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an amazing story...blessings to you and your new baby. Very unusual name...can't wait to hear the story behind it. Get some rest.

    ReplyDelete