Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Run, Lawrence, Run!

Almost 7 years ago, I married my best friend.  On that windy day, when I said, "I do," and promised to love him for better or worse, in sickness and in health, rich or poor, until death do us part, I thought I loved him as much as was physically and emotionally possible.  I don't admit this very often, but I was wrong...

I love him more today than ever before.

And I fell more in love with him yet again last night and then again this morning.

Yesterday, he got up and went for a run.  That might not seem like a big deal, but for my husband it is.  He hates running.  He does not get any enjoyment from it.  BUT, he knows the exercise is good for him.  So, he did it.

He did it again this morning too.  2 days of running in a row!  Now, that is blog post worthy!!!  It's even more meaningful to me than his helping me fold 5 loads of laundry last night, which was pretty huge to me since I am never able to keep up with all the clothes my 3 little girls go through during the week, especially when they seem to think they need to change outfits every 2 minutes! :)

When he got back from his run this morning, he was a bit discouraged about how fast - or rather how slow - he was going.  He was frustrated that it took him about 20 minutes to run 2 miles.  He thought he should be able to go faster than a 10 minute mile pace.  I assured him that his going out and running slowly was better than not running at all.  Your speed isn't what's important; it's the fact that you are out there doing something good for you, even if you don't particularly love what you are doing.  I am beyond proud of him for investing in his health, and thus showing me he LOVES me and wants to be around as long as possible and be able to go and do stuff together and make memories as a family.  I don't care if it takes him 20 minutes to run one mile.  Just by running, my husband declared his love for me in a new, fresh, and DEEP way.

As I was reflecting on his desire to run faster and discouragement at his current pace, I thought how that perspective applies to life in general, not just running.

How often do we choose not to do something because we think we're not good at it or we're of the mindset that we won't like it?  How often do we compare ourselves to someone else and convince ourselves that because someone else is "better" than us, we shouldn't even bother trying?  How often do we miss out on an opportunity because we're not even willing to take that first step?  How much do we forfeit when we're not willing to start where we are and realize that as we do it more we will get better and improve and maybe even excel at it?

So, I want to challenge you today.  Take a look at your life.

Is there anything you are putting off or pushing to the back burner or trying to ignore or whatever?
Is there something you want to do but are afraid or scared or nervous about?
Is there something you feel like trying but are worried that you will fail?
Is there something you need to do but haven't started yet because you're comparing yourself to others and focused on how you might measure up to them?

Well, stop it.  
Actually, START it.
Do what my husband did.  Just run.  Who cares how fast, or slow, you go.  Just GO!

If you need help taking that first step, I would love to help you.
And then I would love to encourage and support you and cheer you on as you take that second and third and fourth and fifth step.  I would love to run (or even walk) along side you as you continue on this journey, whatever it may be and wherever it may take you.

The important thing is that you START.  Who cares how long it takes you to reach the finish!  One thing I can guarantee you is that you will NEVER get there unless you take that first step.

So, are you ready?
Are you willing to go for it, whatever IT is?

If so, I'd love to hear what God has called you to do and how you are going to get started...
I'd love to pray with you and for you as you begin this next chapter of the adventure God has for you...

No comments:

Post a Comment