Wednesday, April 22, 2015

What Is Freedom?

To the slaves during Lincoln's time, freedom might have a different meaning or conotation than it does for me as a Caucausian woman in the 21st century today.

And my definition might be completely different than a mother in Saudia Arabia or a teenage girl caught in human trafficking far from her homeland.

And the way each of us explains freedom could be totally different than a commander in the Army or a prisoner in a Chinese jail or a young boy trying to figure out life with autism.

Freedom...
So many different ways to explain it.
All because there are so many different people, all from different walks of life and in different places at this very moment.

Personal experience.
Economic status.
Ethnicity.
Time period.
Gender.
Age.
Location.
Government.
Culture.

And that's just a short list of what could possibly affect one's interpretation of FREEDOM.


I have been contemplating the meaning of freedom lately.

Today, freedom meant I had the opportunity to stop my work at the computer and take my "baby" girl upstairs to read her some books before laying her down for an afternoon nap.  This morning, freedom let me sleep in and cuddle with my oldest daughter before her sisters woke up.  Freedom also allowed us to go to a Moms' Group for a play date before running some errands.

For the past seven days, freedom has meant I have been able to stay home with my 5 year old who was suffering with a ruptured ear drum.  I didn't have to drop her off at daycare or take off work so I could keep her home with me.  I didn't have to rearrange plans or call anyone to get permission to set up an emergency chiropractor appointment or run to the store to get some ear drops.  I was able to do what I needed to do when I needed.  I was able to be the mom I wanted.  I was THERE for my little girl.  I HATED watching her experience such pain.  I HATED that I couldn't take it away or snap my fingers and make everything all better.  BUT, I was THERE for her, and that is what matters most.  THAT is freedom to me.  This past week at least.


My definition of freedom is always changing and growing and adapting.
I think it is for all of us.

As I reflect on the FREEDOM I have had as a mom recently, I am blown away by the way God has been at work in my life.  This freedom is all of Him and from Him.  A gift.  A blessing.

I am certainly thankful for this type of freedom, but I am even more grateful - ETERNALLY so - for the freedom I have in Christ.  We celebrated Easter a few weeks ago, remembering Jesus' sacrifical death on the cross as payment for our sins and then His miraculous resurrection from the dead 3 days later, proving He is all-powerful and sovereign and worthy of our praise.  Because of THAT, I have freedom both now and forever and ever.

I am no longer in bondage to sin.
Yes, I will die physically (unless Jesus comes back first, which I am praying fervently that He does), BUT I will NEVER die spiritually.  My body will return to ashes, but my soul will be with Jesus in heaven, in His presence, for all eternity.  And when that time comes, there will be no more sickness or sadness, no more ear aches, no more cancer or miscarriages or anything else that causes grief here on earth.

Not only am I free from sin's power, but I am given the amazing privilege of sharing this good news with anyone and everyone I can.  As I read this morning in 1 Peter, I have been RESCUED out of darkness and called in to the marvelous light.  Best part is that I can invite others to join me in this light!  I can extend to them the same gift of salvation Jesus freely offered me.


Another song reminds me that I am free to run.
And so I run to the Light, run to His power and presence, His love and grace, His mercy and hope, His peace and joy, His strength and wisdom.  I am FILLED with the Light, so much so that it shines out of me onto anyone and anything I touch.


This freedom is not for me to clutch to my chest and keep for myself.  Oh no, this freedom grows and gets better and better as I share it with others.  The more the merrier!

What about YOU?
How would you describe FREEDOM?

Have you experienced ETERNAL freedom?
If not, I invite you to do so today!




No comments:

Post a Comment