Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Big Bark but NO Bite

I about peed my pants on my walk this morning.

Growing up, I thought it was absolutely ridiculous that grown women would pee their pants.  Didn't they have control of themselves?  Couldn't they make it to the bathroom on time?

Then, I had children.
NOW, I understand.
Your bladder is NEVER the same again.
EVER.

No matter how many kegels you do.
Studies show that 60% of women struggle with incontinence after childbirth.
I am under the STRONG conviction that the other 40% are LIARS. :)

So, really, as a mom of 3 kiddos, it shouldn't surprise you at all that I almost peed my pants this morning. But, this incident had nothing to do with sneezing, coughing, or laughing.  Indeed, it was NOT a laughing matter.

I was walking along, listening to my music and talking with Jesus as I made my way down the street.  Minding my own business.  Focused on getting home and starting the day's tasks.  All of a sudden, I hear a vicious dog barking.  Startled, I look back to see where the beast is coming from, so I know which direction to run (not that I could have outrun the dog, being almost 7 months pregnant, but I was willing to give it a try to save my life).  A dog is rushing towards me, barking and letting me know he was NOT happy to see me pass by HIS yard.

Not the actual dog...
Just before I bolted, the dog stopped.
He had reached the boundary of the INVISIBLE fence.
I was safe.

I had been all along.
I had no reason to fear.
Or pee my pants (which I DIDN'T do, just to clarify - at least not this time).

The dog may have had a big bark, but he had no bite.
At least not that he could try out on me.

As I reflected on my near-death experience, I realized how Satan has much in common with that dog.
Satan likes to scare us as believers.
He wants us to think he's big and bad.
He wants us to fear him, to run and hide, to bolt.

When, in reality, he's fenced in.
Yes, he is powerful.  No doubt about that.  BUT, as I daily reminded the boys and girls at camp this summer, as believers WE are greater.  WE have the power of God in us, the same power that raised Jesus from the grave.  And our power - through Christ - is NO match for Satan.  We can beat him EVERY time.  In fact, we have ALREADY defeated him.  Not in ourselves or because of anything we have done or can do, but only because of the CROSS and the finished work Jesus has already done.  The end of the story has been spoken, even if there are still chapters left to be written in the thrilling saga of the war between heaven and hell.


Problem is - we don't see the fence.
It's invisible.
Just like our enemies who are "not flesh and blood," but indeed still very, very, VERY real.

The dog may have APPEARED to be on the attack, ready to run me down and tear me to pieces.
Yet, I had NO need to fear.

And so I kept walking.
Deep breaths were certainly taken, I assure you.
A sigh of relief may have been heard.

May we do the same today as we face our enemy.
May we remember he has a big bark, but no real bite.
Unless of course we LET him.
If we are silly enough to go up to a vicious dog and try to pet him and play with him, like he's the friendliest animal on the block, that's our bad.  We should know better.

So, don't go snuggle up to Satan and not expect to have him dig his fangs into ya.
Give him the opportunity and he will tear you to shreds.
The Bible warns us, "he is prowling around like a lion," on a mission to "steal, kill, and destroy."
He's NOT a cute, loveable puppy.
Don't mistake me there.
He is a vicious, mean-spirited beast.


BUT, he's fenced in.

Listen to his bark.
But don't fear his bite.
Look him square in the eye and let him know who's boss.
Remind him that he's already been defeated.
And that YOU are greater...
because you have GOD inside you!


1 comment:

  1. A co-worker of mine was talking about how she had listened to the bible on CD but that she stopped when she got to Revelations because it seemed to scary. I just laughed..and said, "Let me tell you how it ends...God Wins".

    ReplyDelete