Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Forward to School

Yesterday and today have been an emotional roller coaster for me.
Let's just remind ourselves that I am 28 weeks pregnant and the mama of 3 very precious, but also extremely DRAMATIC girls.
I have EVERY right to be emotional...

But I'm talking FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL emotional.
As in my "baby girl" who made me a mama is somehow old enough to be at her first day of Kindergarten.  She's almost 6, but I swear she was just born yesterday.  I can sure tell you every detail of the day she was born.

Contractions started at 11 pm and were every 10 minutes from the get-go...

Don't worry, I'll spare you the birth story.
Coralyn Ruth Young made her grand entrance into the world on October 6, 2009 at 8:12 am.  She weighed in at 8 pounds, 5 ounces.  My world hasn't been the same since!


And today, today she rocked me yet again.
For one, she actually let me do her hair!  That NEVER happens.
Before, we left for school, as we were getting ready to take pictures, I was making her sign to hold.  I asked her what she wanted to be when she grows up.  After much thought, she decided on ARTIST.  She proceeded to add, "I know God is going to be with me at school and help me be a light and help others."
Heart melted.
Confirmation that my "baby girl" is indeed ready for this new adventure.

We took pictures, trying to stay dry as rain POURED down.


Made the short .98 mile drive to school.  And thankfully, the rain had almost stopped!  Got out and she put on her backpack and walked into HER school.  It's not just DADDY's school anymore (she goes where Lawrence teaches 3rd grade).


As teachers and staff members greeted students along the way, she was quick to inform one of them that she was chewing gum.  Apparently, NO gum is a rule and she wanted to be sure the teacher was aware of her crime :)  Teachers' kids...

We proceeded down the hallway without any further embarrassment on my part, Coralyn making her way directly to her classroom without any hesitation, doubt, fear, or trepidation.  She headed straight for her cubby and hung up her bag like a pro.


Without any encouragement from me, she then made her way to her spot at one of the tables.  Opened up her pink supply bag full of brand new crayons, sharpened pencils, glue sticks, markers, and everything else a kindergartener needs.


Had I not requested a picture with her teacher, Coralyn would have started coloring her sheet about the first day of school.  We made our way back to Mrs. Hubbard, snapped a quick picture, and then I was ushered out the door - by my daughter!


"Bye, Mom!"
High fives from me and her 2 sisters, then we were on our way.
NO tears.
No worries that she would do just fine.

My baby girl is "all grown up" and READY.
How is that even possible?!

Yesterday was all about squeezing in as much fun as possible.


Creating those final few precious memories before Coralyn's childhood "came to an end."
Yeah, that might be a bit dramatic. She's not heading off to college or walking down the aisle or anything like that.  BUT, for the next 13 years she will getting up 5 days a week and spending HOURS each day in school.  (Unless of course, my dream comes true and we are able to be a stay-at-home family and travel the world while we homeschool...)  So, for now, in a sense, her childhood is ending.  At least her time HOME with ME has ended.

And that brings a tear or two to my eyes.
I might be fighting them back right now as I type...

As I journaled yesterday morning, I jotted down:
Praying Coralyn is a light.  Wondering if I have done enough to prepare her...

I continued:
I'm ready for the week, but it will be NEW in a way since Coralyn won't be around all the time.  I really am going to miss her.  Funny how much I rely on HER.  She's the 5 year old daughter.  I am the mom.  She's supposed to need ME.  Yet, here I am realizing how much I need HER!

Boy, isn't that the truth?!
The tears are flowing freely now.
First time I've cried today.
But, they're not tears of sadness.
More of joy and pride and anticipation of what is to come, of what God is going to do in and through my child.

My brave, courageous, inquisitve, kind-hearted, peacemaking, artistic, attention to detail, outdoor loving, always wants to know more, never forgets anything, stubborn, determined, Jesus and Spirit-filled, powerful child.


Today, I reflected more on this monumental day in history.
Yes, my oldest going to kindergarten constitutes as a monumental day, at least in MY book.

The day has come - Coralyn's first day of kindergarten.  You wouldn't think I'd be so emotional since she did Summer School.  But that wasn't "real," I guess.  Just practice...  


Well, today it's game time.  The buzzer has sounded and it's time to go - or to LET HER GO.  She's the player now.  I'm in the stands.  Cheering.  Hiding my eyes in fear something may happen, but still wanting to see absolutely everything.

Oh to be a fly on the wall in her classroom today.  To watch all that goes on - and even more importantly how SHE does with it all.  Following directions.  Answering questions.  Making friends.  Being brave.  Being kind.  Remembering all I've taught her - or tried to teach her.  Be it the educational basics - letters, numbers, colors, shapes, the 3 types of rocks and how they are formed, the life cycle of a butterfly, the phases of the moon (and yes, we DID cover all those things and more in our homeschool curriculum this past year).  But today let's hope she spells her name right (still working on the direction of that Y), ties her shoes - oh wait, I'm having her wear velcro today because this pregnant mama can only handle so much growing up at once and so the tennis shoes with laces are on hold until tomorrow.  I'm seriously praying she stands quietly in line (without feeling the need to make sure everyone else is doing what they are supposed to), washes her hands after going to the bathroom, and has fun at recess.

I went on to write how I hoped the 5 loads of clean laundry needing to be put away and the 2 other loads waiting to be washed, the carpets to vacuum, the floor to mop, the counters to wipe down, the 4 bathrooms to clean, dishes to put away, a childbirth class to prepare for, and supper to make would keep me busy until she comes home to tell me all about her first day.

Well, I've done everything on the list, except make supper.
Kellah and Kyiah did help me make pumpkin protein granola bars.
AND I listened to a recorded call of 3 team mates sharing their inspirational stories of how It Works has changed their lives.


So, I'd say I've kept busy.
And I've done good until now.
Tears are running freely down my cheeks now.
I couldn't hold it together any longer, I guess.

Though, I do feel like making it until 2:03 pm is a good accomplishment for this emotional pregnant mama.  As I jotted down this morning:

You get ONE first day of Kindergarten.  I pray I don't blow it :)  

And since Coralyn is the first in our family to go to school - unless you count that Lawrence had his TENTH first day of 3rd grade - I can't really call today "BACK to School."  Rather, it's FORWARD to school.  And all that lies ahead...

Has 5 and 1/2 years really gone by?!
YES.
And she IS ready.
She truly is.
So I guess I better be too.


1 comment:

  1. Brought tears to my eyes. You are an extraordinary momma!

    ReplyDelete