Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Spinning Wheels

Yesterday was another absolutely gorgeous fall day, so I was outside with my precious little girl Kellah.  She's really into riding her bicycle right now, so she was going up and down our sidewalk as I soaked up the glorious sun and read a few pages in Erwin McManus's book Seizing Your Divine Moment.

As I was challenged to "face my fears and look straight into the eyes of opportunity," I happened to glance up to see Kellah go off the sidewalk into the grass.  Her bike was stuck.  She kept pedaling, but certainly wasn't going anywhere.  Her wheels were spinning.  She kept at it for a bit, determined that she was going to move.

I didn't have my phone on me and couldn't snap a picture of Kellah with HER bike,
but thought this picture represented the idea well.
I was just about to suggest she get OFF the bike, move it back on the sidewalk, get back on, and THEN start pedaling again.

I knew there was NO chance she was going to get anywhere if she didn't change something.  Her bike was half on the grass and half on the sidewalk.  It was going to have to be physically MOVED before it would take her anywhere.

Thankfully, my little girl realized this on her own.
And MUCH to my surprise, she did NOT come running to me for help.
She did NOT whine or complain.
She simply problem-solved.
She got off the bike, pulled it back onto the sidewalk, remounted, and continued on her way home.
I was so proud of her.

From a different day, but again, the picture captures the idea!
Such a little thing.
And yet HUGE.

First, she did NOT whine.
Second, she figured it out on HER OWN.
Third, those 27 seconds (or however long it was) helped teach me a life lesson.

How often does the same thing happen to you and me?
How many times do we get "stuck?"
And we keep trying to go, but nothing is working.
We can pedal our hearts out, but we're not going anywhere.
There's no way.
UNLESS, we do something different.
UNLESS, we get OFF the bike and move it.
UNLESS, we change our situation.
UNLESS, we are willing to admit we have a problem.
UNLESS, we are ready to take a new approach.


Then, and only then, can we get on our way.
Then, and only then, can we head towards our destination once more.
Then, and only then, can we reach our goals and fulfill our dreams.

BUT, all far too often, we stay stuck.
We spin our wheels.
Determined that if we pedal harder or faster we will somehow move.

It's useless.
Tiring.
And frankly, ridiculous.


As I was reading McManus's insight, "and the courage we often need to engage our greatest challenge can be found only in the middle of engaging that challenge..." this little incident with Kellah took place.

What perfect timing!
God was showing me what this looks like in real life, through my 3.5 year old and her bike.

Oh that I would do what my little girl did - get off my stuck bike, MOVE IT, and then get back on so I CAN be on my way to the dreams God has for me.


What about you?
Feel like you're spinning your wheels?

Why not STOP?
How about you get off your bike too?
Try something new.
Go a different way.
And THEN get on with your journey towards those goals and dreams you have.
Or better yet, let God lead you to the dreams HE has for you!


No comments:

Post a Comment