Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Number Game

I have always enjoyed school and learning, but math was one of my favorite subjects (except geometry, which I despised...sorry, Mr. Unruh). I think I liked math because there was always an answer. It is very straight forward and objective, as opposed to say English Literature which requires interpreting what the author wrote, when he wrote it, what was going on at the time he wrote it, who he wrote it to, and what message he was really trying to communicate to this specific audience. Talk about complicated, but that is just my opinion. Not to say that I'm not grateful for my English classes in high school, I am. I know that I am a much more well-rounded person because of all the thinking and analyzing and contemplating I had to do in Mrs. Z's room (not to mention all the homework that took place in my living room!). But given a choice, I would have rather been with Mr. Busenitz and his chalkboard solving algebra equations any day. (Those of you who are from Berean know exactly what I mean. Those of you who aren't familiar with good ol' Elbing, Kansas, where I went to high school, will just have to take my word for it.)

I still like numbers today. I think it's because I still like to have an answer to every problem. Unfortunately, life seems to be a lot more like English Literature than it does Algebra II, or even Calculus. Much to my dismay, life presents us with situations that don't always have a solution. There is no formula to follow. Calculators don't help. All we are left with is our mind, our heart, and our faith. The last of which is most important.

When I was younger I used to like to make up math problems to solve. The harder and more complex, the better. For old times sake, I thought I would play a little number game. There aren't any solutions to find, really. More just a bunch of numbers to reflect what is happening in my life right now.

3 years, 4 months, 11 days...since I married my best friend
16 months, 3 days...Coralyn's age
1 year, 360 days...since we found out we were pregnant with Coralyn (Valentine's Day, nonetheless)
5 days...until Valentine's Day this year
1 month (or 28 days really, but who's counting)...until my birthday
28 years...how old I will be (man, I am getting old!)

7 days...that we have not had school because of snow and cold temperatures (which means I didn't work either since I only watch teachers' kiddos; which sounds great until I think about the paycheck, or lack of it)
40 days...until Spring!!!!

3 kids...have left daycare recently
1 boy...who is still coming to daycare (I love Carson!)
3 kids...I need to have a full daycare (in addition to Carson)
6 kids...who are possibilities for joining my daycare soon (boy is God good and faithful in providing for us; not only does He answer our prayers but does so abundantly!)

50 days...since our precious baby went to be with Jesus
50 days...I have thought about the child I will never hold, or hug, or kiss, or read to, or play with, or hear laugh, or pray with, or take to school for the first time, or anything else for that matter
50 days...I have wondered why this happened
50 days...I have been extra thankful for my beautiful, healthy daughter who brings me such joy
50 days...I have trusted that God knows what is best and will work this out for His glory and ultimately my good
50 days...I have asked God to help me trust that He knows what is best and will work this out for His glory and ultimately my good
50 days...God has been by my side to give me strength and hope and peace (well, really He's been there for all the days of my life, but I have definitely sensed Him more these last 50)

19 days...since I announced that I would be a shavee in the American Cancer Socitey's "Shave to Save" event
19 days...I have been scared about being bald
19 days...I have felt alive and a deep joy within me, knowing that by shaving my head cancer patients will be able to stay for free at the Hope Lodge and not have to worry about bills for food and lodging but can focus on their treatment and hopefully spend more time with family and friends
14 days...until I meet the other Shavees and some of the people at the Hope Lodge who will benefit from all the money raised for "Shave to Save"
$5,000...how much money I would like to raise for the Hope Lodge by shaving my head
$360...how much money people have generously given so far
$4,640...how much more money I need to reach my goal
58 days...people can still donate and support me (on May 2 the American Cancer Society counts all the donations given for the "Shave to Save" event)
68 days...until I will be bald (May 12)
68 days...I will enjoy brushing my hair and being able to put it in a pony tail or braid, choosing whether to curl it, straighten it, or just let it be its naturally frizzy self
68 days...until I get to experience the thrill of doing something totally radical and out of my comfort zone for the pure and simple reason that I know others will be encouraged and blessed

5 and 1/2 hours...until Relate Group tonight
5 and 1/2 hours...until I get to study God's Word with some of the most amazing people on the planet
12 people...(if everyone is healthy) who will come over tonight and make Wednesday the best day of the week simply because it's the day I get to spend time with dear friends who let me be real and honest as we all try to follow hard after Jesus and help each other figure out how to do just that
6 women...who have become dear, dear friends and encouraged me so much
6 men...who have helped Lawrence become an even better man
12 people...who God has used to help bring us closer to Him than ever before

1 hour, 20 minutes...(if I am "lucky") until Coralyn wakes up from her nap

And on that note, I had better get off the computer and get some work done while I can!








1 comment:

  1. I love numbers. Therefore I love this post! Still praying for you!

    ReplyDelete