Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Lappin' It All Up

Lately, Coralyn has been wanting to sit on my lap quite a bit....to read books, to eat her food, to sit in the rocking chair together. I really don't have much of a lap left, as I am just over 36 weeks pregnant! But, I try to make as much room as possible for Coralyn, reminding her to try not to sit on the baby or squish the baby or poke the baby (or my ribs). I may be a bit uncomfortable as Coralyn squirms and fidgets on my lap, or even when she sits completely still for that matter. But, I am loving it! I know that I won't get too many more moments like this, especially right after the baby is born. So I am lappin' it all up, treasuring every second and trying to lock away as many of these precious memories as I can, while I can.

This morning Coralyn again wanted to sit on my lap as she finished up her breakfast. Her hands were covered in yogurt and banana and peanut butter. I didn't really want her sticky, gooey fingers touching me. I didn't want to get all dirty, not that I was dressed up or anything...I just didn't want Coralyn to share her mess with me. But, of course, I welcomed her on my lap, doing my best to finish my own breakfast while she nibbled on her muffin and basically just rearranged her food and cups.

As I sat there trying to avoid her icky fingers, I thought about how God must feel about us sometimes. I can only imagine how sticky, gooey, and messy are fingers are in His mind. How messy we must be compared to His pristine holiness, glory, and majesty! Yet, He invites us to come and sit in His lap. In fact, He longs for us to do so...sticky fingers and all! God wants us to share those special times with Him, making precious memories as we fellowship with Him and dwell in His presence. He holds His arms out to us, ready to lift us up on His lap so we can sit with Him. And not only does He not mind our dirty fingers, but His lap always has enough room for one more of His dearly loved children.

No comments:

Post a Comment