Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth

This morning I thought to myself, "I should write a blog about Lent this afternoon during nap time."  Then, I got on facebook, and several friends has posted articles about Lent and why evangelical Christians should take the time to participate in it.  I decided I should just read those articles and add my two cents worth.

So, here's one article for ya:
Why Bother with Lent?

I really appreciate how the author mentioned that sin and grace collide at the cross.  We most certainly need to recognize our depravity and the desperate situation that leaves us in -- complete separation from God!  Thank goodness we are extended grace!!!  God freely offers us forgiveness of our sins and the opportunity to have a PERSONAL relationship with Him!!!!

In response to that grace, we should be willing to lay our lives on the line for our Savior.  If He sacrificially died in our place so that we might live, should we not use every single day to thank Him, bring honor and glory to His name.  Should we not tell everyone we know about this amazing grace that is available to them as well?!  Should we not risk everything we have in hopes that those we love will admit their sin and accept God's free gift of salvation?  Right now at church we are focusing on what it means to be a disciple and what that lifestyle looks like day in and day out.  Like I said in my blog yesterday, giving your all for Jesus is hard and scary, but totally worth it!!!

Leading right into that is the fact that we don't know how many days we have here on this earth.  We don't know how long we have to reach our family and friends.  We don't know if today will be our last day on earth, if we will never have another opportunity to share the love of Jesus.  And so we should live each day as if it might be our last.  Back in college a wise friend (Annie Wilson) said, "Think about how you want to be remembered at your funeral, and then live each day so they will."  She added, "How you live each day is how you will live your last."  So true!

I love, love, love how the author said to give something up in order to benefit someone else.  It's not about scoring points with God or making yourself look good to Him or to impress your family and friends.  Instead, it's about sharing the love of Jesus with those around you!

Finally, the author spoke of how Lent helps us look ahead to Jesus' return.  Again, that serves as a reminder that TODAY may be the very day we get to see Jesus face to face.  What a joy that will be!  I want to be ready though!  I want to stand before Him knowing I have lived each day to the fullest, made the most of every opportunity, and laid it all on the line for His name.  I want to hear Him say, "Well done, my good and faithful servant."

Here's the other article, if you want more to chew on:
Lent Day 1

Well, ALL FOUR KIDDOS ARE TAKING NAPS AT THE SAME TIME, including Coralyn!  So I had better get something done while I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive