Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Rejected, Rescued, Redeemed

How you ever felt left out? Picked over?  Excluded?

You're in good company, then.
You're in the same boat as the Creator of the Universe.

Say what?!

Yep, Jesus Himself was REJECTED.
Misunderstood.
Wrongly accused.
Mocked.
Beaten.
Ridiculed.
Crucified.

I read yesterday in 1 Peter 2 of my Savior's REJECTION.  You would have thought I was left feeling forlorne and devastated; instead, I was greatly encouraged.  Relieved really.

If Jesus was REJECTED, then I should only expect the same in my life.
As a follower of Jesus, I am promised this rejection.  For if the world did not understand or accept my Lord, why would the world all of a sudden receive me with open arms if I identify myself with Jesus?

They don't.
And so I too am REJECTED.
Best part, this is truly GOOD NEWS!!!


Before you think I've lost my mind, hear me out.
Well, actually, let's hear PETER out, since the letter he wrote explains things so much better than I ever could...

"You are coming to Christ, who is the LIVING Cornerstone of God's temple.  He was REJECTED by people, but He was CHOSEN by God for GREAT HONOR."

Jesus' fellow man may not have accepted Him or understood His message or realized Who He was or believed in Him, BUT His Father always had a plan for His Son.

And for US.
For me.
For YOU.

Only in Christ's rejection are we able to be RESCUED and then ultimately REDEEMED.


You see, Jesus took our sin upon Himself, bearing the burden of our punishment on Himself.  He embraced the rejection that we might be accepted, forgiven, transformed.

This includes you who were once far away from God. You were his enemies, separated from him by your evil thoughts and actions. Yet now he has reconciled you to himself through the death of Christ in his physical body. As a result, he has brought you into his own presence, and you are holy and blameless as you stand before him without a single fault.  ~Colossians 1:21-22

In His death, we come to life!!!

Again, Peter describes our situation well...

"But you are not like that, for you are a CHOSEN people.  You are royal priests, a holy nation, God's very own POSSESSION.  As a result, you can show others the GOODNESS of God, for He CALLED you out of darkness into His WONDERFUL LIGHT.  

Once you had NO IDENTITY as a people;
now you are GOD'S PEOPLE.
Once you had received no mercy;
now you have received God's mercy."


As we are in the midst of Valentine's week, I can't think of a better definition of love than that right there.  In deed, while we were still sinners - His enemies - God loved us and gave up His Son for us.  He made a way.  He invited us - wretches and filthy - into His glorious, majestic presence to enjoy a personal relationship with Him.  He washes us clean with Jesus' blood and sees our sin no more.  We are forgiven completely, our debt paid in full!!!  We have been set FREE!

We may be rejected by men.
Misunderstood.
Wrongly accused.
Humiliated.
Left out.
Picked over.
Ridiculed.
Persecuted.
And possibly even killed.


BUT, we are not forgotten.
We are CHOSEN by God.
And dearly, dearly loved.


So, then, my brothers and sisters, how then should we live?

 Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with tenderhearted mercy, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others.  Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony. And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace. And always be thankful.
 Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts. And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father.   ~Colossians 3:12-17
Having been set free, I want to go and free others, as many as I possibly can!  I want to share the Good News of God's love with them, inviting them to join me on the marvelous journey to know Jesus and daily become more like Him.  

Even if that means being rejected by men.
My identity is in Christ alone.
Nothing, no one, can change that.

I may be rejected.  But I am also RESCUED and REDEEMED.  
And that is all that truly matters!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive