Monday, June 14, 2010

Tears and Smiles

Why must growing up involve so many tears? Tears from not being quite able to do what you want, tears from bumping your head when you fall, or tears from hitting your head on the coffee table when all you were trying to do was accomplish a new feat and take a step? As a mamma these tears nearly break my heart as I know my little girl is in pain. But I know they are necessary as Coralyn tries to figure things out and grows up and learns new things. I also know that they will soon be followed by huge smiles and cute giggles as she is able to get the toy that used to be out of reach, go from standing to sitting without falling down, and taking that step from one place to another. I just don't like the tears. I much prefer the smiles. Yet I am learning that the tears usually have to come first.

For example, I think Coralyn might end up getting her first black eye today. She was standing up and playing with her activity table, which happened to be next to the coffee table. I was changing Jayden's diaper when something caught Coralyn's eye on the coffee table. She decided she wanted to try and get to the coffee table, so she reached out and had her hand in place. She took the step, but wasn't quite able to get her other hand on the table to support her weight. Down she went, hitting her head (right on the corner of her eye) on the way. Of course tears followed. I picked Coralyn up, hugged her, and assured her everything was going to be okay. Inside my heart is breaking and I feel terrible for letting her get hurt. But a few minutes (and a pacifier in the mouth) later, she was fine. The smiles returned and life was good again. Like I said, I much prefer the smiles.

No comments:

Post a Comment