Friday, June 25, 2010

What a Mess!


Learning to be independent (or in this case teaching Coralyn) is a messy business, and sticky too! I love that she can feed herself things like bananas, avocado bites, scrambled egg, and of course cheerios! She is pretty good at picking up the food and getting it to her mouth. She just makes a huge mess in the process. How I wish that you could capture every moment on film or at least with pictures! Like this morning when she had managed to get blueberries and yogurt all over her hands, face, the highchair tray, and anywhere else near her. Her smile was priceless!

When Coralyn's done eating, I'm not sure where more food landed: in her tummy or somewhere in the highchair or the floor? Her hands, arms, face, and hair are one big sticky, icky, gooey mess. At least she doesn't mind me washing her off when meal time is over. At times I wonder why I bother letting her feed herself when it makes such a mess and I have to clean it up each time, but then I remember that I was able to finish making supper or eat supper myself while she had her snack or the first part of her meal. I think ahead to the future and how she will be able to do so much more because I have let her do some things on her own. I just pray she's not too independent :)

As I was watching Coralyn eat her supper last night, and make a mess of things like usual, I had a thought. I wonder if God ever gets frustrated watching us making messes as we try to do things on our own. I greatly appreciate that He doesn't hold our hand all the time or spoon feed us; He lets us try to figure things out and "grow up." I am sure it would be a lot easier for Him to just do things for us, and faster too. But He lets us use the personalities He gave us; He makes us think a bit; He allows us the freedom to choose. And thankfully, He is good at cleaning up our sticky messes.

No comments:

Post a Comment