Monday, July 2, 2012

Leftovers

Usually, when you think of leftovers, things like cold pizza, stale crusty sandwiches, and a single spoonful of forgotten potato salad hidden deep in the far back corner of the fridge behind the box of baking soda come to mind.

This morning, though, God reminded me that leftovers, especially when they come from Him, are a blessing.  Not to mention a sign of His faithful provision and abundant generosity!

I was reading in 2 Corinthians 9 and laughing to myself as Paul urges the believers in Corinth to have the gift ready that they promised.  He informs them that he is sending some brothers ahead just to be sure the money is all collected.  He wouldn't want to be humiliated if the Macedonian Christians arrived only to discover that the offering didn't even exist, or was a mere handful of coins.  After all these reminders, Paul writes, "I want it to be a willing gift, not one given under pressure."  Later he continues, "You must each make up your own mind as to how much you should give.  Don't give reluctantly or in response to pressure."  Sure, Paul, no pressure, no pressure at all....just the fact that you already told these people that we would have quite a generous amount prepared for them when they come.  Or the idea that if we don't meet your expectations, we'll feel absolutely terrible for letting you down and embarrassing you, and ourselves as well, in front of these fellow believers.

Paul's idea of "no pressure" is a little different than mine, I guess.  BUT, I am pretty sure the Corinthian believers came through and had that gift ready when the brothers and sisters from Macedonia arrived.  I think it would even be safe to bet that the offering was quite substantial, a real blessing to those from Macedonia, as well as Paul, and even the believers in Corinth (as it's more blessed to give than to receive)!

After I finished laughing at Paul's "no pressure but I know you'll have your act together and get that generous offering collected and ready" speech, God showed me this verse to remind me of His faithful provision and abundant generosity:
 "And God will generously provide all you need.  
Then you will always have everything you need 
and plenty left over to share with others." 
(2 Corinthians 9:8)  

And you can be certain that God isn't under any pressure or feel any obligation to bless us.  He just does.  Because He loves us, more than we could ever even begin to imagine!

I am so thankful that God does meet each and every one of our needs.  Better yet, He knows exactly what we need, before we ever ask Him, or even think to ask in the first place!  As I look back on the past year, I am blown away with how faithfully God has taken care of us, providing for us above and beyond what we could have ever dreamed.  At times, He answered our specific prayers.  In other situations, He came through for us quite differently than we expected or anticipated.  No matter what the circumstance or the method of providing, God was there, present with us at all times and making sure we had absolutely everything we needed to complete the work He had given us to do.

It would seem that we aren't done with this rollercoster ride quite yet.  Instead, we are just rounding the corner and headed up another steep climb.  I don't know how tall this part of the rollercoaster is or how high we will go or how long it's going to take to get to the top, but I am confident that God will get us there.  How?  I have no clue.  When?  No idea.

So, what do I know?  Well, Paul must have read my heart and mind because he took the words right out of my mouth when he wrote,
"Yes, you will be enriched so that you can give even more generously.  
And when we take your gifts to those who need them,
 they will break out in thanksgiving to God.  
So two good things will happen -- the needs of the Christians in Jerusalem will be met, 
and they will joyfully express their thanksgiving to God.  
You will be glorifying God through your generous gifts.  
For your generosity to them will prove that you are obedient to the Good News of Christ  
And they will pray for you with deep affection 
because of the wonderful grace of God shown through you." 
(2 Corinthians 9:11-14)

It's easy for me to get discouraged as I think about the potentially huge (ginormous!) loss we might take if we sell our house.  And then even more overwhelming to figure out how we are going to afford to buy a new house, especially one that has the space we would need for the ministry opportunities God has laid on our hearts.  Yes, it's certainly easy for me to question what God is doing, what He is asking us to do.  It's definitely easy to doubt, to question, to worry, to fear, to fret, to take my eyes off Jesus.  Like Peter, I am so busy looking at the wind and waves that I forget Jesus is right in front of me, reaching His arms out to hold my hand and pull me into His warm, safe embrace.  As the writer of Hebrews urged, I need to "run with endurance the race God has set before me, by keeping my eyes fixed on Jesus, on whom my faith depends from start to finish."

And so, God who knows me better than I know myself, helped me refocus this morning.  He whispered in my ear, reminding me that He will not only take care of us, but bless us abundantly....so that we can in turn "have plenty left over to share with others."  And I can guarantee that those "left overs" will be much better than cold pizza!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive