Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Baby Steps

I must have blinked too many times because my baby girls are growing up and aren't babies anymore!

My oldest daughter - the one who first made me a mommy - turned 5 this month!!!


Coralyn's party launches our family into "Birthday Season" in our house.  In November, my youngest will be ONE!  And then, in December, we'll have a 3 year old on our hands as well.  Kellah, the soon-to-be-3-year-old has determined she will have a Zebra Party to celebrate.  Kyiah, the baby, doesn't really have an opinion on her birthday party theme, so I have chosen to go with BUTTERFLIES.  Butterflies signify new beginnings, fresh starts, hope, and the beauty of life (at least they do to me).

As I was thinking about my girls growing up, God seemed to use specifically my baby to teach me a lesson about life...


Kyiah is only 10 months old, but she is walking all around the house like she owns the place these days.  She's been taking steps and getting more and more comfortable over the past month, BUT she still falls quite often.  As I said, she's only 10 months old and is new at this whole getting around on 2 feet thing.  Kyiah doesn't let anything stop her though.  She trips or loses her footing or falls down for whatever reason, but she NEVER stays down for long.  Within seconds she is back on her feet and ready to go again.  There's no stopping her from getting where she wants to go or doing what she's put her mind to doing...

The best part is her smile.
And the FIERCENESS with which she goes about getting around.
She's ALL IN.

If I am close to her, she'll get up and basically race towards me as fast as she can.
If she is on something and I reach out to get her, she simply "jumps" into my arms, no fears or worries that she'll fall or that I would drop her.  Complete trust.  And joy, as she smiles from ear to ear and lets out a precious baby giggle!
If she is around her older sisters, she will do her best to keep up with them, not caring that she is still just a baby and they are more than 3 times her size!

We were at the park the other day and little Kyiah was doing her best to get in on all the action.  She looked so small in comparison to the big park area...


Yesterday, as I was watching my girls play and then later down on the floor stacking blocks with them, God spoke to me.

You know how Kyiah just goes for it?  Be like her.

You know how Kyiah can be wobbly on her feet, but she keeps getting better?  You will too.

You know how Kyiah falls down and then gets right back up?  Follow her example.

You know how Kyiah trusts you to help her, to lead her, to catch her?  Do the same with Me.

You know how you encouraged Kyiah over and over to take that first step, and waited with outstretched arms for her to come to  you?  I am the same way.

You know how you cheered and celebrated when Kyiah took those first shaky steps, not caring that she wasn't a master walker right from the start?  I am like that too.

You know how Kyiah gets better and better as she takes more and more steps and gets steadier and steadier on her feet?  You will too, as you walk with Me.


Maybe you are in a place where you need to take a FIRST step, a BABY step.
But you're scared.
You're unsteady on your feet.
You're wobbly.

Maybe you took that step, but fell down.
Get back up.
You'll get stronger and steadier as you take more steps.

God is right there with you.
He will hold your hand and help you learn how to walk.
He will guide you each step of the way.

Just don't sit there.
Don't even stand still.
Take that first step, a BABY step.
And see where God will lead you....



No comments:

Post a Comment