Friday, October 17, 2014

Irony of All Ironies

This morning I am dealing with an ironic situation...

I sent a message to a former cheerleader who was not exactly in my circle of friends during my high school days, two girls I have never met and live on opposite sides of the United States, a girl I haven't seen since we were in the same high school Physics class (cough - 12 years ago), a girl I haven't seen since we were RAs together in college (cough, cough - 10 years ago), and a girl I have only met once - she's the cousin of a good friend from high school and college.

Why did I share my heart with these women?
Why did I open myself up and lay myself bare before them?
Why did I turn to them for help before anyone else?

Because they are my team mates.
Because they are my friends.
Because they are my SISTERS in Christ.

I needed prayer.
I was feeling the enemy attack.
I couldn't stand alone.
I needed help.
I needed support.
I needed someone to stand with me on the front lines, to help hold up my shield of faith, to put our shields TOGETHER and block the fiery arrows being shot at me.

I was feeling discouraged.
Frustrated.
Defeated.

But I wasn't giving up.
I wasn't giving in.
I wasn't going to let Satan win, not on my life.

So, in desperation and with great humility, I admitted I that I was weak.
I acknowledged I couldn't make it through the day alone.
I knew my sisters would gather around me, from separate corners of the country, and stand shoulder to shoulder with me, and face our common enemy TOGETHER.

I knew as we did, we would stand strong.
I knew we would be victorious.

Yes, we would take some nasty blows.
Yes, Satan would try all the dirty tricks up his sleeve.

BUT, I also knew God would be fighting for us.
I knew He would not let us slip or fall.
I knew He would surround us and protect us and uplift us.
I knew He would defend us.
I knew He would come out on TOP with us, bringing Him massive amounts of glory as He showed His faithfulness and power.

After I sent my message to my 5 sisters, I loaded up my 3 young girls to run some errands.  I turn the radio from the Sports Station (been listening to the Royals' games in the car) to Air 1...

"Greater is He who is in me than he who is in the world..." blasts through the speakers and straight to my heart.

Point - God.

Immediately after the song was over, the DJs came on explaining that it was "Celebrate the Little Things" Friday.  They encouraged people to call in and share something SMALL that was good, that called for celebration (even if it was silly or seemingly insignificant).  The male DJ (don't know his name because I don't listen to this particular station all that often, but obviously God knew it was where the knob needed to be today) told how his son had taken out the trash without being asked.  "Come on and celebrate good times - come on!" played and I couldn't help but smile.  The female DJ exclaimed that she and her husband were going on a date that night.  "Come on and celebrate good times - come on!" blasted again.  And I was reminded that even though I might be having a rough morning, I had MANY things to celebrate, MANY blessings to count, MANY incidents of God's ongoing work in my life.

Point - God.

More music started to play...

I don't remember all the other songs that came on the radio, but I know the volume was turned up and I was having a private worship session in the front seat.  My girls might have wondered why the music was blaring or why I was singing along and lifting one hand in the air from time to time, but that's okay.

I do know at one point Francesa Battistelli's "He Knows My Name" came on and again spoke to me at the very place I was, reminding me of the Truth with one of the very issues I was struggling with this morning.

Point - GOD.

Again, I can't recall every single song I heard while in the car, but I do know God was choosing them and using them to help me dig in and fight back.  As listened and sang along, something happened deep within me.

My heart was strengthened.
I was encouraged.
My hope was restored.
My joy was renewed.
My energy was replenished.
I went from slumped shoulders to standing straight and tall, confident in the Lord and the GOOD plans He has for me.

Point - GOD!

Almost as soon as we got home, we had to get back in the car to run yet another errand.  Again, God was in control of the song selection.  Once more, "Greater is He who is in me than he who is the world..." was on.  As if God knew I needed the reminder once more!

The very next song was point on as well - a new one to me, but oh so good!!!  I Am They's "From the Day" must have been written with me in mind!!!

I surrendered myself and my situation to God - again - and could almost instantly feel my heart begin to overflow.  I was stepping out of the darkness and into the light.  God was opening my eyes, and my heart, reminding me that He has already saved me and secured the victory.  I could rest my heart in His arms.  I could sing and dance.

Point - GOD!!!

Not sure when, but "We Believe" by the Newsboys played and reminded me of all the Truths I know but sometimes forget when I am being attacked and beaten down.  As I recalled these promises from God's Word and filled my mind with descriptions of His character, it was as if my shield of faith was lifted so I could once more block those fiery darts and arrows the evil one was relentlessly hurtling at me one after another.  He had been on target for sure - he has a great aim - and had wounded me.  BUT, my sisters were praying (all 5 had sent me messages by this point to let me know they had my back!).  God was moving.  He was extinguishing the flames in one sense and adding coals to the fire in another.  He was working in my heart, getting me pumped, excited, ready to march into battle and be on the OFFENSIVE for a change.  He was leading the attack, and I was running with Him, sword lifted high and screaming at the top of my lungs, "Greater is He who is in me than he who is in the world!!!"

Not sure if you've been keeping score, but God is DEFINITELY winning!!!
He always does.

Maybe you are in the middle of a battle yourself.
Maybe you feel defeated.
Maybe you fear you have already lost.

I assure you that is NOT the case.
Take heart.

"So humble yourselves before God.  Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.  Come close to God, and God will come close to you."  ~James 4:7-8

"The Lord Himself will fight for you.  Just stay calm." ~ Exodus 14:14

"The Lord your God is going on ahead of you.  He will fight for you..."  ~Deuteronomy 1:30

"For the Lord your God is going with you!!  He will fight for you against your enemies, and He will give you victory!"  ~ Deuteronomy 20:4

"For the Lord your God is living among you.  He is a mighty Savior.  He will take delight in you with gladness.  With His love, He will calm all your fears.  He will rejoice over you with joyful songs."  ~Zephaniah 3:17

"But you belong to God, my dear children.  You have already won a victory over those people, because the Spirit who lives in you is greater than the spirit who lives in the world!"  ~1 John 4:4


Just as God used my sisters to help me this morning, I am here to support and encourage YOU.  2 shields are better than 1, so let's put ours together and stand our ground against Satan, side by side.

We can't do this alone.
We weren't meant to.

Rather, we are called to come together.
And as we do, we are stronger.
We are better.
We are victorious!!!!

And the best part is that God can use anyone to help you in your time of need, even the people you would least expect.

Like He did with me this morning.

I messaged a former cheerleader...in high school, not only was she NOT in my circle of friends, she was someone I looked down on and made fun of and treated with contempt.  Not my best moment, but true.  If God can change my heart and make this former cheerleader one of my closest friends and one of the first people I go to for help, than God can use anyone...

I messaged 2 girls I have never met in person.  Yet, they too are some of my closest friends, my go-to's for prayer when I am feeling discouraged or overwhelmed as a wife and mother.  If God can use them in my life, than He can use anyone in yours...

I messaged 2 girls I haven't seen for over 10 years.
I messaged a girl I have met once, and only then because she was my friend's cousin.
If God can use these girls, He can use anyone in your life too...

I do find it quite ironic that these are the 5 sisters I turned to first.
By now I shouldn't be surprised at how God works, and yet He never ceases to amaze me.

As He did with every song on the radio this morning.
I can't even sing a single note on tune, and here He is using music to speak to my heart and restore my spirit all day long.

Yes, it's the irony of all ironies, but the fact of the matter is that's how God works more times than not.  And I am totally okay with that, because His ways are always better than mine, and He ALWAYS wins!!!

So take that, Satan!

10 A final word: Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11 Put on all of God’s armor so that you will be able to stand firm against all strategies of the devil. 12 For we[d] are not fighting against flesh-and-blood enemies, but against evil rulers and authorities of the unseen world, against mighty powers in this dark world, and against evil spirits in the heavenly places.
13 Therefore, put on every piece of God’s armor so you will be able to resist the enemy in the time of evil. Then after the battle you will still be standing firm. 14 Stand your ground, putting on the belt of truth and the body armor of God’s righteousness. 15 For shoes, put on the peace that comes from the Good News so that you will be fully prepared.[e] 16 In addition to all of these, hold up the shield of faith to stop the fiery arrows of the devil.[f]17 Put on salvation as your helmet, and take the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
18 Pray in the Spirit at all times and on every occasion. Stay alert and be persistent in your prayers for all believers everywhere.







1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this Sarah. A message I definitely needed to hear.

    ReplyDelete