Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Dare to Be Different

In my 20+ years of following Jesus, I have come to realize God does NOT work the way I expect.  I should know this.  He told Isaiah waaaaaay back in the day that His ways are not our ways.  Yet, for some reason, I still tend to put Him in a box and look for Him to do things the way I would.  

One would think I would also figure out the whole "God doesn't call the equipped; He equips the called," type thing.  The two concepts tend to go hand in hand.

God's ways are NOT my ways.
They are bigger. Better.
WAAAAAAAAY better than I could ever dream or imagine.


And because God's ways are NOT my ways, He uses people differently than I expect.
He doesn't use who I think He will.
Or how I think He will.
Or when I think He will.
Or where I think He will.
Or even why I think He will.

Good thing, too.
Because really, He shouldn't use me.
I am not anyone special.
I'm a white, caucausian female in the United States.
I am of normal build, maybe a little on the short side - 5'4" if I stretch, 125ish pounds when not pregnant (which won't be for awhile since baby #4 is due this fall).
I'm a wife.
A mother. Of 3 girls (and then the baby on the way).
I don't make millions (yet).
I haven't written any books (yet).
I haven't invented anyhing that has changed people's lives all over the world.
I'm not a genius.
I'm not a beauty queen.
In my eyes, I am typical, average.
Certainly not extraordinary...

Yet, I believe God is using me.
And I KNOW He can use YOU too.


Here's what I am coming to find out though:

God doesn't typically act or respond to our requests for Him to act UNTIL we take that first step.
When we obey and do what God has asked - whatever it may be - and take Him at His word, THEN He acts.

This is NOT how we usually go about doing things in our own lives.
This is NOT how we normally interact with others on an everyday basis.
This is NOT common to us.

It's different.
Radical.
Hard to swallow at times.
Confusing.
Weird.
Often doesn't make sense.
Against the grain.

And so we tend to resist.
At least I often do.

I am a detail person.
I like to know everything before I make a decision.
I want to see all the plans laid out, with all my ducks in a row.
I like to be in control, to know the when and where and how and who and what and why.

BUT, this is NOT how God works.
His ways are NOT my ways.

His ways may be unconventional.
Or even absurd.

Take the time he told Naaman to wash in the Jordan River to clear up his leprosy. The Jordan River was filthy.  And God wanted this pretigious leader to wash in the dirty water, dipping specificially 7 times, to heal him of an unhealable disease.  Makes perfect sense.  NOT!  At first Naama resisted and questioned God's plan.  Thankfully, he listened to the advice from his servant and did as he was instructed.  And came out of the water a different man...

Or there's that time God instructed Joshua to march around Jericho for 6 days, without saying a word as they did.  Then, on the 7th day, the people were to walk around the city walls 7 times.  And THEN, they were to shout as loud as they could.  God assured Joshua the walls would come crashing down and they would rush in to defeat their enemies.  Yep, that's how generals usually plan an attack.  NOT!  Good thing Joshua was willing to try something new and different...

I'm sure the blind man wondered what in the world Jesus was doing when He spit in the dirt and rubbed the mud on his eyes - not that the blind man could see what was happening, but I bet Jesus' disciples had some quizzal looks as they watched their Rabbi.  Spit, dirt, mud...that's what every optomitrist will tell you he needs for an eye surgery.  NOT!  But then again, Jesus isn't your typical Physician...

We could share story after story of how God has acted in ways we don't understand, ways we never would have thought up on our own, ways that are contrary to everything we know.


We can resist God's ways.
We can question them.
Doubt them.
Try to explain why they won't work.
OR we can accept them.
We can follow His instructions, no matter how absurd they may be.
And I guarnatee you this - we WILL see God come through, BIG time!

Remember how he took Gideon's 300 men up against a HUGE army?  Remember how Gideon's men had clay pots and laterns and used them to defeat the enemy?

Remember how the Red Sea parted and the Israelites walked across on DRY land?
Remember how God did pretty much the same thing at the Jordan River, parting it as soon as the priets' feet were IN the rushing water?

Remember how God provided oil for the widow for months and months?

Remember how Jesus turned water to wine?

Remember how God SPOKE the universe into existence?

Remember how Jesus came back to life after 3 days?!

Yeah, you would think we would realize God's ways are NOT our ways.
You would think we would understand that He uses ordinary people in extraordinary ways.
All that is required is for those normal, everyday men and women to say YES to whatever God is asking of them, whatever He wants to do in and through them.


As we have the COURAGE to say YES to God, we see walls fall down.  We watch the lame walk.  We rejoice as the dead come back to life.  We see God do the humanly impossible.

For remember, He is NOT human.
We are.
He is NOT.
And thus, His ways are NOT our ways.
They are bigger, better.

BUT, we have to dare to be different.
To let God call us.
Then equip us.

That takes courage.


Here's the cool thing though - God gives us the courage we need.
IF we let Him!
In saying YES, He fills us with His Spirit, which means we are filled with the same power God used to raise Jesus from the dead.  We are filled with ALL of God - His wisdom, His peace, His grace, His mercy, His joy, His knowledge, His understanding, His love, His COURAGE...


Are you ready?
Are you going to take that first step today?
I don't know what that step might be for you in your life, in your specific and current situation.
But I know that as you take that step, God will be with you, holding your hand and steading you as you go, wherever it is He may be leading.


I am going.
I am following.
I am listening to His voice.
And as we will discover, THAT is key to being courageous as well...

For now, will you listen with me?
Will you go?
Will you commit to taking just that FIRST step?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive