Monday, April 25, 2011

Our New House

It feels like we have moved to a new house, but the truth of the matter is that we have just made our "old" one better. And in better, I mean ready for foster kiddos!

We have put up a wall (well, technically we paid someone to do it for us) and created a 3rd bedroom upstairs. We then moved the office/playroom downstairs to the old guest bedroom. We moved the guest bedroom to the "yellow room" which has a window and can thus be used for a foster kiddo who is at least 10 years old. We moved the bunk beds from the yellow room upstairs to the new bedroom, which will soon have a jungle/zoo theme. Whew! That was a lot of moving!

Oh, and we (well, again we paid to have it done) made our stairs so that a child can't fall off the side. I feel much better about that, especially as Coralyn is quite the climber these days and has no fear whatsoever.

With all this moving, I feel like we are in a new house. The mostly empty living room contributes to the just moved in feeling as well. This weekend we also had the opportunity to give my friend the couch and two reclining chairs that we had so graciously been given. As we wait until Wednesday for Nebraska Furniture Mart to deliver our new sofa and loveseat, we are currently sitting in style on our folding chairs!

These changes have made me realize that we have a great house. It may not be super big, but it is the perfect fit for us. Often I play the comparison game and get jealous of houses with dining rooms, not to mention 2 stories or a walk-out basement or a deck or things like that. But I don't really need all of that. God is showing me that I have all I need, and more! I am so blessed, and yet I complain or grumble over the littlest things. God is reminding me that He is my Home. And I am definitely looking forward to welcoming some kiddos into that Home!

I have absolutely no idea what foster parenting will really look like. I can envision how things will go or want them to go, but I have a feeling that the second we get that first placement call and the kid or kids step foot into our home for the first time, all those thoughts and visions and dreams are going to be thrown aside and reality will hit. And I will just have to go with the flow.

No matter what happens though, I am confident of this: We have followed God's lead as He guides us down this path. He knows every twist and turn, every bump and corner. And every step gets us closer to Him, our true and final Home.

No comments:

Post a Comment