Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Over the Top

Yesterday was the deadline for me to reach $5,000 in order for my head to be shaved at the big luncheon at the Midland Theater as part of the Shave to Save event. I wasn't too worried because I knew that my mom, like always, would come through for me and make sure I would be a part of the big celebration. She wasn't going to let me have my head shaved and not be at the Midland to do it. But I really didn't want her to have to donate a whole lot of money. It's already a huge sacrifice on her part to support me in going bald. For her sake (and mine, I guess!) I hope my hair grows back at an outrageously fast pace! Anyway...I still hadn't made it to $5,000 yesterday afternoon. But, thanks to many friends (both mine and my mom's) we not only reached the goal, but surpassed it!

As of right now, people have donated $5,541.94! The 94 cents came from some of the students at Northern Hills Christian Academy, where I used to teach. The 113 students there brought in their pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters to support me. They ended up donating $224.94! I am forever indebted to Cheryl Simmons, the secretary, for counting all those coins (many of them pennies!).

I am humbled by the generosity of those who gave. Thank you for joining with me in this crazy adventure. Some of you, like my mom, probably don't completely understand why I would volunteer to shave my head, especially when my long red hair is my favorite thing about me (physically). That's okay; you gave anyway. You looked past my weirdness and realized that God has His hand in this, that He is going to do something big through all of this. At least that is my hope, my prayer.

In 9 days I will get up on stage before a large crowd of people. I will only know about 20 of them. The rest will be strangers. The majority of them have been affected by cancer in some way. They may be fighting cancer or be a survivor. Someone in their family may be going through treatments, or perhaps they have lost a loved one to this terrible disease. I am the odd ball out. Thankfully, no one in my immediate family has suffered from cancer. I am at Shave to Save for a completely different reason. I signed up to shave my head after we had our miscarriage and I realized that rather than having a daily pity party for myself, I could reach out to others who are hurting. I could comfort them as God has comforted me.

But really I am doing this for a much bigger purpose. Yes, I would love for the people who benefit from the funds raised and stay at the Hope Lodge for free while they receive cancer treatments to be cured from their illness. In that way, I certainly am willing to "shave to save." Many of these people may need another kind of saving as well, and that is my true reason in shaving my head. Before they cut my hair and Lawrence takes that first swipe with the razor, I will get to share about why I volunteered as a shavee this year. And I will have the opportunity of a life time to share the love of Jesus. I pray that everyone in attendance would see past my long red hair and into my heart. I pray they wouldn't see me at all, but that they would see God Himself on that stage. And that if they have never opened their hearts to Him, that they would that afternoon. I pray that my sacrifice points to the much greater sacrifice Jesus made on the cross. We just celebrated Easter so maybe that will be fresh in people's minds. Whatever the case, I just want to pour out God's love and pray that people are filled to overflowing with the hope and joy and peace that only Jesus can bring.

So, thank you for donating. You went over the top, BUT I still need your help. I need your prayers (and those are free!). Please pray that God gives me the words to speak on Thursday, May 12. Please pray that the people hear my heart, that they see God's love, and that if need be, they accept Jesus. That is the real reason why I am shaving my head. Shave to SAVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment