Thursday, October 6, 2011

Birthday Girl

My little girl isn't so little any more. In fact, if Lawrence asks Coralyn, "Are you my baby?" She answers emphatically, "No! I'm a BIG GIRL!" (with a grunting-like sound and motions to show that she is not only big, but tough too)

Showing just how big she is now

Today, Coralyn turns TWO. It's hard to believe that just two years ago, I was holding my tiny newborn and helping her get used to this brand new world. I remember her birth as if it happened this morning. I feel like I just brought her home from the birthing center. Wasn't it only yesterday that she learned how to roll over...crawl...walk? Didn't I just take down all the decorations from her first birthday party? How can it be time to celebrate another birthday already?!

Ready to open her presents

A whole year has passed, and in that time my daughter has transformed from a baby to a toddler. She certainly is a "big girl" now as she continues to amaze us with all she can do and continues to learn on a daily basis. I am happy to report that Coralyn now sleeps in her toddler bed without any problems (for the most part) and that we have said good-bye to her precious boppers (pacifier). I would say that she is 99% potty-trained, as we do have the occasional accident when she gets too busy or distracted to remember that her bladder does have certain time limitations. She is talking in complete sentences more and more, with her most common ones starting out, "I want..." or "I need..." or "I'll do it!" "Mommy, help!" is also quite frequent as she attempts to do things on her own and then realizes she may actually need just a bit of assistance. Her vocabulary increases each day, and the things she remembers astonishes me. She is quite the observant little girl as well, noticing the smallest things or pointing out things as we drive that I never would have seen or taken the time to pay attention to really. I love her curiosity and adventurous spirit; she has no fear (which sometimes scares me) and is ready to tackle any obstacle in her way. She is also pretty attentive to what is going on around her and to the needs of others close by. Often she will pick up other kids' cups so they can get a drink, offer a toy they might like playing with, or give a quick hug. I am glad she is learning to be considerate and thoughtful, but we may have to work on humility because each time she does something good or helpful, she is sure to announce, "I'm nice."

Showing off her Birthday Girl shirt

Reading books, playing with her trucks or cars, and jumping on the trampoline are at the top of her favorite things to do. She also enjoys going to the park, picking flowers (especially yellow ones), coloring or painting pictures (and then showing them to Lawrence as soon as he gets home from work), playing with her numerous stuffed animals, doing puzzles, or making up games with Carson (they keep themselves very entertained). And of course she loves when we make a trip to the zoo. The monkeys and the tiger are her favorite animals to visit. Lately, I have been letting Coralyn and Carson watch a Dora episode each day while I get lunch ready, and now she loves Dora (and Diego). I checked out some birthday-themed books from the library, and her favorites are the ones with Dora and Diego. I am pretty sure I have read the books each about 1,000 times since Monday morning and could now recite both stories to you by heart. Coralyn loves the books so much that she has to have them for nap time and even takes them to bed with her at night. The first thing she talks about in the morning is Dora and Diego! Do they make Dora and Diego dump trucks? Because that would be her dream present!

Playing with her dump truck


Reading her Dora book

I love that Coralyn is also growing in her understanding of God, Jesus, the Bible, etc. Every time we go to pray and she closes her little eyes and folds her hands, my heart just bursts with joy. When I see or hear her saying her own prayer, I get even more emotional. The Bible is one of her favorite books, and she will often bring it to me so I can read her a story. Or if she sees me reading my Bible, she will run to her room and get hers so she can have devotion time with me. Now that does my mama's heart oh so good!

We continue to pray that Coralyn will be healthy and strong (we are so thankful to not have had any major sickness, or even minor really in the past 2 years!). But our heart's strongest desire is for her to know Jesus and love Him with all her heart. We have no idea what God has in store for our little (um, I mean big) girl, but are certainly excited to see His plans for her unfold. I pray she shines brightly for Him in every way possible and brings massive amounts of glory to His name. It's always hard for me to admit that Coralyn isn't really mine to begin with , that she belongs to God. And so today as she turns another year older and time just keeps flying by, I am reminded to give my precious girl back to her true Father. I love her so very much and could hold and squeeze and kiss her all day long. I don't think I can tell her often enough that I love her or express to the full extent the deep, deep love that I have for her. But none of that comes anywhere close to comparing with the awesome, wonderful, tender, powerful love of our God. I am so blessed to be her mama and take care of her and love her and teach her and all that parenting involves, but I am oh so thankful that she is ultimately resting in the strong, mighty, and gracious hands of our Lord Jesus.

To Him be the glory as we celebrate Coralyn's 2nd birthday!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive