Monday, October 24, 2011

A Walk to the Park

Friday night we didn't have any plans. We wanted to do something fun though, but it had to be free. Thankfully the day was beautiful! The weather was gorgeous, and we decided to take advantage of the opportunity to be outside. After supper, we started getting ready to go for a walk to a nearby park. Lawrence's school had spirit days all week, and Friday happened to be PJ day. So, he was still in his plaid pajama pants and long-sleeve t-shirt. He wasn't doing anything to indicate that he planned on changing before we went on our walk which would take us outside, down the street, across the main road, and to the park. I am thinking to myself that he will change into jeans or something before we leave, but when he went to put on his shoes, I figured I was wrong. And I couldn't have my husband going out of the house looking like that! I mean, heaven forbid you go for a walk in your pajamas! He is a grown man after all! I'm 8 and 1/2 months pregnant and I wasn't going to wear pajama pants.

I kindly suggested that he change. Actually, I think I asked, "Are you going to wear that?"

Either way, Lawrence was taken aback and somewhat offended that I make such a comment, that I wouldn't want to be seen with him in his pajamas, out in public.

But, being the good husband that he is, he agreed to change. Coralyn and I waited in the living room. Patiently. After about 5 minutes, Coralyn was getting restless, and I was beginning to wonder myself what was taking so long. How much time does one need to take off pajama pants and put on a pair of jeans. 10 seconds? I figured he was up to something...

I know my husband well. He came out of the bedroom, wearing jeans...with a blue dress shirt (long-sleeves and buttoned all the way to the top) and tie!

Again, after laughing hysterically, I asked Lawrence to change, to just be normal. He complied and changed into a t-shirt. Finally, we were off to the park, looking like regular people, a happy little family having a grand time. And indeed we were.

We actually let Coralyn walk, rather than pushing her in the stroller, since we weren't in any big hurry. She ended up running about half the way since she was so excited to go to the park and play on the slides! Everything was going just fine and dandy too...except that only Lawrence was allowed on the equipment, per Coralyn's orders. The second I put my foot on a ramp to go up to the play area, she gently pushed me off, and told me, "No, Mommy." Daddy was welcome to play, however! "Come on, Daddy, let's go!"

My pride hurt just a tad, but I figure Lawrence gets that all the time as Coralyn usually tends to prefer me over him. I didn't mind, really. I got to sit back and watch my husband and little girl play together. It was precious. My heart was melting.

Then Coralyn starts acting funny. She walks/runs over to the benches and isn't looking for flowers or anything like that. After wandering around for a bit, she explains, "I need to go potty, Mommy." Joy, there is no bathroom at this park. So we improvise and "pop a squat." No big deal...she can just pee right there in the grass. Oh wait, that wasn't the kind of potty she meant! Before I know what is happening, my daughter has pooped! Evidently, she wanted to take her sweet little time though, and my arms began to get tired of holding Coralyn up, so Lawrence took over that position while I went in search of something to clean up her mess. Thankfully, someone had left a styrafoam cup lying on the ground. When Coralyn was done with her business, we tidied up and went about playing like nothing strange had happened.

I was just glad she hadn't gone in her pants (in fact, we haven't had an accident in over a week...and she's been telling me every time that she has to go!).

I guess I got more than I had expected when we decided to go on a simple walk to the park. There's never a dull moment when you're a wife and mom!

1 comment:

Blog Archive