Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Treasure

This morning we barely made it to Chick-fil-A in time for Kids' Korner...Coralyn slept until 8:30 (no complaints there) and then ate her breakfast oh so slowly, meaning we left at the time Kids' Korner actually started. Thankfully, it's no big deal to be late to these kinds of things as the kiddos just get to play with blocks or play dough or color pictures or run around in the play area.

I am still a stickler for time though and like to be on time for everything, including laid-back events like Kids' Korner at Chick-fil-A.

Whatever the case may be, we got there, and had a splendid time. Miss Julie, the regular storytime lady, was gone on vacation, but Miss Brenda did a fantastic job filling in for her. She must have sprinkled some magic dust on the children too because they all actually sat and listened to the story (well, there might have been 1 or 2 kiddos climbing around, but out of 15 that is pretty good!).

The story was about a fox and his friend (a badger I think) looking for treasure. They had seen a rainbow and thought for sure at the end of the rainbow would be a big pot of gold and silver, so they set off to find this precious and valuable treasure. Along the way they met a squirrel who was busy gathering acorns, walnuts, and other nuts. Somehow the squirrel was convinced that the nuts were treasure enough and declined the fox's offer to find the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. Next, the fox and badger came across a mother goose who seemed to believe her little baby goosling was her treasure, and she too said she wouldn't be joining them in their quest to find the silver and gold. A little while later, the two friends crossed paths with an old rabbit who tried explaining that memories were his treasure, but the fox and badger weren't satisfied and went on their way, determined to amass great wealth once they located the end of the rainbow. By this time rain had started to fall again, so the fox and badger tried to find cover. While they waited for the rain to stop, they had time to think about what the 3 animals had said to them on their way to find the rainbow's pot of gold. The fox and badger decided that the squirrel, goose, and rabbit actually had a good point and realized that getting rich and having lots of gold and silver wasn't as important as it had seemed at the beginning of their journey. When the rain stopped, they headed back home, happy and content with all the treasures they already had. They were so delighted with their new-found treasure they didn't even notice the beautiful rainbow behind them.

Throughout the story I kept thinking of the verse, "Wherever your heart is, there your treasure will also be." Or the one about not storing up for yourselves treasure here on earth, where moth and rust destroy, but to lay up for ourselves an eternal treasure, of far greater value, in heaven. I was reminded of the story of the man who found a pearl and sold everything so that he could purchase this precious gem. He gave up everything to have that which mattered most, that which had true and lasting value. So then I think of the quote from Jim Elliot (I believe), "He is no fool who gives what he cannot give to gain what he cannot lose."

And I ask myself...
What do I treasure?
Where is my heart?
What does my life actually show that I value above all else?

With the past couple of months being kind of stressful financially, I am beginning to realize how much I can do without, how much excess I really have. I am beginning to learn to appreciate and value the "little things." I am starting to see how truly valuable those "little things" are, and that they don't cost any money at all!

So, like I said, I am glad we got to Chick-fil-A today and that the kids had a good time. I am even more thankful to be reminded that my treasure chest is not just full, but overflowing, with all the blessings the Lord has so graciously bestowed on me and my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive