Monday, October 3, 2011

The Snow Is Melting

Yes, I am aware that we are just starting fall. No, I am not confused about my seasons. I totally realize that the leaves are changing colors, and am actually quite excited about the brilliant colors all around us. I am also enjoying the amazing weather that comes with this time of year.

So, why in the world am I talking about the snow melting?

I am so glad you asked...

This past weekend, we had a guest speaker/musician at our church. After singing a few songs, she shared the story of Hezekiah going before the Lord with a "bad news letter" he had received from Sennacherib, king of Assyria. Basically Sennacherib told Hezekiah to surrender, that Israel's army was punny and would be easily defeated. Sennacherib had defeated many other surrounding nations and reminded Hezekiah that the gods of those nations had done nothing to stop him. The same would be true when he attacked Israel. Hezekiah could have caved in and given way to fear, he could have waved the white flag and spared his army the embarrassment of defeat (not to mention any lives lost in the battle). BUT, he didn't. Instead, he took the letter to God and spread it out before Him. Hezekiah pleaded with God to come to Israel's aide, to show Himself powerful, and put Sennacherib in his place. Hezekiah wanted everyone to see that God alone is God and that He is stronger and mightier than any earthly foe, no matter how powerful that foe may seem.

God came through for Hezekiah, and Israel. And He did it without anyone's help. There was no battle! God simply sent one of His angels to Sennacherib's camp and killed 185,000 of his men! When the rest of the army woke up the next morning, they were of course terrified and fled town. They never entered Israel, but returned immediately to Nineveh, heads hung in shame and defeat.

The singer/speaker (Lisa Marie Beckham) went on to share about how we respond to the "bad news letters" that Satan delivers to the mailboxes of our hearts. All too often, we let fear take over. We give in to doubt. We believe Satan's lies. We forget that God is bigger and more powerful than Satan, that He has already defeated the devil and all his demons. We don't trust God, but rather become overwhelmed with worry, stress, and guilt. She likened this to feeling like we are walking through "thick snow" and all we can see ahead is more "thick snow." We don't think there will ever be an end to our troubles. BUT, that is so far from the Truth.

Instead of believing Satan, we need to spread out our "bad news letter" before God like Hezekiah did. We need to remember "greater is He who is in us than he who is in the world." We have to trust that God has a bigger plan, one that we cannot fully see right now. We have to trust that until the "thick snow" melts, God will equip us with snow shoes to trudge through it, or He may even give us a pair of snow skis to glide over it! :) Whatever the case may be, we have to believe that "spring" will indeed come.

And so, although we are just beginning fall (my favorite season, tied with spring), I feel as though the snow is melting in my own life. This past month was kind of rough, as we had to trust God and totally rely on Him. Of course He came through, showing us His amazing power and faithful provision. He blessed us abundantly and helped us see His goodness on a daily basis. And as I have come to grow in my faith, to rest in God, and wait patiently on Him, the "thick snow" is starting to melt. I can feel the warmth of the sun, see the flowers poking their heads up through the ground.

I realize that more snow may fall, and indeed I am certain it will. However, I am not afraid. I will not let Satan's "bad news letters" dampen my spirits or cause me to lose focus. I am setting my eyes on Jesus and following His big ol' footsteps, which are getting a little bit muddier as this snow melts and gives way to the soggy ground underneath.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive