Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Best Nest

The idea that God has a sense of humor is becoming more and more of a tried and true fact than just a whimsical thought.  And I am glad that He does.  Life would be far too serious, and stressful, if He didn't give us something to laugh at (sometimes that something happens to be someone -- ourselves).  Yesterday afternoon, He did it yet again and brought a huge smile to my face as I read a book to Coralyn.

We had been reading book after book after book.  As soon as we finished one book, she would reach into the basket and get another one, "Let's read this one now, Mommy!"  All of the books were by none other than Dr. Suess, who always seems to be able to teach me a life lesson whether he is writing about "green eggs and ham" or "all the things you can think if only you just try."  This particular book was called The Best Nest and told the story of Mr. and Mrs. Bird as they searched for a new house.  Apparently, Mrs. Bird had grown tired of her "old" birdhouse and insisted they find a newer, bigger, better house.  The love birds set off to find "the best nest" but have quite the time finding a suitable home.  An empty boot soon gets filled with the owner's foot.  The postal worker (is that the politically correct term these days?) disturbs their afternoon nap when he delivers the mail.  A squirrel doesn't want to share his cozy hole in a tree.  Finally, after flying all over town, Mr. and Mrs. Bird happen upon the "perfect" place to set up house -- a church bell tower.  They collect string and straw and hair and set about the task of making their nest.  When they are done, they settle down to rest, but not two minutes later they are rudely awakened when Mr. Brown comes to ring the bell, as he does every day at 12 noon.  Shaken up, literally, Mrs. Bird flies off with a huff and a puff, extremely frustrated that their search for a new home has been an epic fail.  Mr. Bird takes a bit longer to figure out what has happened and once he comes to, Mrs. Bird is nowhere to be found.  He sets off to find his wife, and if being separated from his soulmate wasn't enough, a big storm thwarts his search and rescue mission.  In his attempt to dodge the thunder and lightening, Mr. Bird whacks into something.  It's dark and he can't see anything, so he decides to just rest for a bit and continue looking for Mrs. Bird after the rain stops.  Well, wouldn't you know it, he had run smack dab into his old birdhouse.  And even better, Mrs. Bird was inside!  She had returned to their original nest...to lay an egg!  When Mr. Bird questions why his wife came back to the house she couldn't stand any longer just the day before, she shows him the egg and announces that this old birdhouse is indeed the best nest for them to welcome a new little bird!

As I read the story to Coralyn, I couldn't help but catch the similarities to our present situation.  In deciding to put our house on the market, we have been looking at numerous houses on-line and driving around the neighborhoods in the Kellybrook area eyeing houses we might like.  Finding the "perfect place" has proven more difficult than I thought.  I figured since the houses in that area are bigger, they would have everything we were looking for in our new place.  Nope.  And even though they are nicer and newer than our current house, they just don't measure up (in some ways).  In fact, it's ironic that God is calling us to move now.  For many years I have visited friends or simply driven past other houses and played the comparision game or sighed an "I wish..."  But recently, God has replaced this jealousy with genuine contentment.  I truly like our house.  It is everything we need, and more really.  We have 3 bedrooms upstairs and one downstairs.  We have 2 full bathrooms and one half bath.  We have a nice living room and a rec room downstairs where we can play ping pong, foos ball, and darts (all at the same time) to boot.  We have an office and a play room.  We have a great backyard with room for a swing set and trampoline, plus some pretty cool landscaping (including a three layer garden)!  The only thing I would change about our house is that we would have a bigger kitchen with more cabinets and counter space and an actual dining room/area.  But I don't really need those things.  I have survived just fine for the past 5 years without them, and I am sure that I could manage another 30 years as well.  Yes, they would be nice, but they aren't truly necessary.  And so I have come not just to be okay with our house, but to LOVE it.  This is our HOME. 

We have made so many memories here.  And Coralyn finds it quite confusing why some strangers are coming to look at our house and possibly buy it.  "It's OUR house!" she reminded me again and again yesterday while we were driving around, waiting for the potential buyers to finish touring our house.

Yesterday, as the girls napped, I looked on-line yet again at the houses for sale in the Kellybrook area.  I ended up putting 12 of them on a "favorites list."  Weird that my top two are nothing like what I would have described to you as my "perfect" house just a few days ago.  I am realizing, though, that what our house looks like or how many bedrooms it has or how big the kitchen is aren't the most important factors.  Instead, it's all about location.  God has called us to live in the Kellybrook area, and given us a vision to reach the kiddos and families there.  The house isn't the main thing -- no, it's just BEING there in the community, living side by side the boys and girls, doing life with them day in and day out, and showing them Jesus in the process.

So, whatever house God provides for us, it will be the BEST NEST for the Young family.

And as if He is assuring me, yet again, that He will indeed provide this house for us, He had me read these verses in Psalm 57 this morning.

I look to You for protection.  I will hide beneath the shadow of Your wings.

I cry out to God Most High, to God who will fulfill His purpose for me.

My God will send forth His unfailing love and faithfulness.

My heart is confident in You, O God, no wonder I can sing Your praises!

For Your unfailing love is as high as the heavens.  Your faithfulness reaches to the clouds. 
Be exalted, O God, above the highest heavens.  May Your glory shine over all the earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive