Sunday, June 24, 2012

Caution: God at Work

Don't you just love seeing the "Caution: Men at Work" and "Road Work Ahead" signs?  Right along with them come the reduced speed limit signs and the warnings that fines are doubled in work zones.  All these signs seem to come at least 12 miles before the place where the road work is actually taking place.  Or better yet, the road work hasn't even begun...BUT the cones are still out, eliminating not one but two lanes of traffic -- meaning that the three-lane interstate has become a narrow one-lane road with a line of cars backed up for miles as you creep along and see a snail pass you on the left.

I have mentioned that I believe God is truly at work in our lives, doing something bigger than I could ever imagine or dream up on my own.  Thankfully, it hasn't just been a ruse -- orange cones and huge caution signs and reduced speed warnings with no actual road work being done yet.  No, God really is up to something, and He seems to be letting us know it!

Last night we had supper with our good friends the Popps.  Their little girl Sylvia and Coralyn are birthday buddies, born just about 12 hours apart.  We have been friends with Brian and Maggie ever since we took Bradley classes with them back in 2009.   They are foster parents as well, and have greatly encouraged, challenged, and inspired us along our own journey of fostering.  They recently decided to put their house on the market, and like us are discouraged by the current market and frustrated that selling their house will result in a loss of money, not a gain (aren't homes supposed to be an investment where you make money!!!!).  We are in the same boat.  And the boat seems to be drifting out to sea, where the way is deep and way over our heads.  If the boat tips, we will drown.

As we said good-bye, I told Brian and Maggie we would pray for their house to sell if they did the same for us.  Apparently, they got down on their knees last night before going to bed.  We haven't even officially put our house on the market.  The sign isn't up in the yard.  No one knows that we are thinking of selling, except for our realtor friend and all of you who have so kindly taken the time to read my blog! :) 

God doesn't need us.  He has reminded me of that many times, in various ways, throughout my life.  Well, He did it again today.  Jay, our realtor friend, just called to let me know that he has a client who is interested in a house in the Westboro area, where we live.  They have lost bids on FOUR different houses and are getting pretty discouraged.  Jay mentioned that he might know of another house they could look at and wanted to get our okay to show our house to this couple.  Well, we have painted the stairwell and basement bathroom, but nothing else has gotten done given that we just added a third young child to our family and I haven't really had much time to complete any major projects.  I'm doing good to get laundry done and supper made.  However, I told Jay we would be happy to have him show the house NEXT WEEK!

So, I am asking for a miracle here.  I am praying that this couple falls in love with our house, just the way it is.  I want them to envision themselves living here happily ever after.  I would jump up and down with giddy joy and excitement if Jay called me to let me know they wanted to make an offer on our house.  And then after I shrieked and screamed, I would freeze in "terror" because we don't actually have a place to move to after our house sells. 

But, I am sure God already has that all worked out.  He seems to have taken care of everything else thus far.  I think He's got this "minor" detail covered too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive