Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Daddy Knows Best

This morning I read Psalm 25. Three verses in particular stood out to me, given that I feel like I am in limbo, waiting for God to show me what He wants me to do, what plans He has for me. David must have been in a similar situation when he wrote,
"Show me the path where I should walk, O Lord; point out the right road for me to follow. Lead me by Your truth and teach me, for You are the God who saves me. All day long I put my hope in You." (vs. 4-5)

The third verse came a bit later (16),
"The Lord leads with unfailing love and faithfulness..."

After I closed my Bible, I picked up a book from my dear friend Virginia. I am now on day 29 in Ruth Myer's 31 Days of Praise. She must have seen inside my head and known my thoughts (or perhaps God is the One who lined everything up so perfectly, just perhaps :). She must have understand my struggle to wait patiently for God's direction. She must also have experienced God's faithfulness in guiding her. She must realize that people like me are learning to trust in God and rest in Him while we watch for God to show us the path He has for us.

She writes,
"And thank You that today...that I can let go of the whole burden of my life and service...my marriage, children, and all my relationships (past, present, and future), of my inadequacies and my self-dependence, and rest on Your presence working in me through the Holy Spirit. How good it is to transfer these burdens from my shoulders to Yours, and to rest on You to work in me and for me and through me! I praise You for the gracious way You infuse me with inner strength through Christ...and so I'm ready for anything You want me to do, and I'm equal to anything You allow to happen in my life."

That right there would have been enough for me to realize that reading this right after I finished Psalm 25 was no coincidence. But Myers goes on,
"Thank You that I can give myself up to be led by You...that I can go forth praising and at rest, letting You manage me and my day...that I can joyfully depend on You throughout the day, expecting You to guide, to enlighten, to reprove, to teach, to use, and to do in me and with me what You desire...that I can count upon Your working in me and through me as a fact, totally apart from sight or feeling..that I can go forth praising and at rest, believing You and obeying You and ceasing from the burden of trying to manage myself without Your wisdom and power (adapted from Dr. John Hubbard)."

Yep, God knows my heart, my thoughts, my emotions. And He speaks to me, telling me it's okay, that He is right here with me, leading me every single baby step of the way. He is holding my hand, staying by my side through thick and thin. How glad I am that I am a child of God! And that my Daddy knows me better than I know myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive