Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Three Things I Have Learned Just This Morning

Or maybe just realized...

I probably already knew these things, but this morning's activities have brought them to light yet again.

1) We (or should I say I because that is who I really mean) often do good things but they are not the things we are supposed to be doing.

Carson reminded me of this. Well, I guess come to think of it, Coralyn did too. What good little helpers they are! :) Anyway, this morning I asked Carson to get his shoes on to get ready to go to Chick-fil-A for Kids' Korner. Instead, he brought me Coralyn's shoes. Awful nice of him. Very helpful. Thoughtful. Kind. Caring. Good. But NOT what I had asked him to do, at all.

In fact, I really didn't want him to bring me Coralyn's shoes because I wanted her to get them herself. She needs practice obeying, and being responsible (yes, even at almost 2 years old). Coralyn is also very good at doing things that are helpful, but not what I have asked her to do. For example, when I asked her to get her shoes, she decided putting away the magnets would be a nice display of kindness. And indeed it was. I really didn't want the magnets all over the living room floor, but yet again, putting them away was not what I had asked her to do.

So, as I asked Carson and Coralyn to do what I actually asked of them, and waited for them to obey, I thought to myself, "I wonder how often I do the same thing to God? How many times do I think I am doing something good and helpful and all that, but really I am not obeying at all? What God really wants me to do is what He asked me to, not whatever else I may think I should do, no matter how good that particular thing is."


2) The second thing I learned, or realized/remembered, is that we waste an awful lot of time waiting around for something to happen.

Just Carson reminded me of this. At Chick-fil-A today we had the opportunity to play with blocks, legos, play dough, crayons and markers...not to mention the entire play place! Other kids were there, enjoying all the activities. They were having a blast. What is Carson doing? Standing and waiting for Miss Julie to come read the stories to them. And he didn't just stand there and wait for a minute or two. He didn't see her go get her bag of books, stop what he was doing, and wait for her to come. No, he stood there, doing nothing but watch her tidy up the store, for about 10 minutes! He was bound and determined to wait for her. No matter how many times I suggested he come play while he waited, he refused my offer. He was more content to do nothing, just wait. What a waste of play time? At least that is what I thought.

As usual, God turned the tables on me. "How often do I waste time waiting for God to do something I am anticipating or am excited about or am anxious for? Instead of waiting, are there other productive things I could be doing to better use my time? Not to mention when you are just waiting and waiting, the time seems to pass so much more slowly. If you are active, then the time passes quickly, and you had fun or at least got something accomplished in the process."

This one was particularly convicting because I feel like I am playing the waiting game right now. Waiting for God to show me how He is going to provide. Instead of standing and watching, doing nothing, I need to go about life and do those things that God has told me to do (back to lesson #1).


3) The third thing I realized today is really more of a question. How in the world does God not get completely exhausted as He "parents" us? How does He not get totally fed up with us and our stubborn attitudes?

Coralyn was my teacher for this one. Nap time today was an all out battle of the wills. Yesterday she climbed out of her crib, so it's not safe for her to sleep in there anymore. The only other option is her big girl bed, which she for some reason is terrified of since we saw the cow at Chick-fil-A last Wednesday. We went through our normal routine: ate lunch, used the potty, got ready for the nap, read a book, said a prayer, and I laid her down to sleep. Not two seconds after I walked out of her room was Coralyn at her door crying. I couldn't really understand what she was saying, but I guess she was trying to tell me she had to go to the bathroom (which I would have found hard to believe anyway since she just went potty). After about 20 minutes of putting her back in bed, I finally sat down with her in the rocker. And smelled something. She had indeed needed to use the potty! Ugh! So to the bathroom we go, and as soon as she sits on her potty, the crying stops. Only, she won't get off the potty even after she is done! After ample time had passed, we got into a new diaper and trekked back to her room. Again, seconds after I left the room she was up and screaming, again that she had to go potty. Really? I don't think so. Not this time. So back to bed we go. Up and down, up and down, up and down. Finally, she gave in and stayed on her bed and let exhaustion take over. She is contentedly sleeping as I type. Ah, what bliss!

I wonder how many times I rage an all out battle of the wills with God? He knows what is good for me, what is best. And yet I resist Him. I want my own way, and so I fight Him. He doesn't give in though, because He loves me. I keep battling, and He keeps loving. How long does it take for me to finally give in and rest? And why do I even resist in the first place?!


Like I said, I knew these things before this morning, but they were great reminders. I hope I have learned my lessons well, and that I start putting them into practice!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive