Thursday, April 12, 2012

Just for Laughs

Both of the girls are still napping, so I actually have more time than I anticipated this afternoon. Not complaining at all, and figured I could take a moment to write down some things Coralyn has done or said the past few days that have brought a smile to my face and at times tears to my eyes.
Lately, we have been spending a lot of time outside. Every spare moment, it would seem. And I love it! However, keeping Coralyn entertained while holding Kellah (looking out, how she likes) tends to be difficult at times. Coralyn has figured out that I can't really push her very well, or at least not like Grampy does, if I am holding Kellah. I also can't lift her up to hang on the swingy bar thing. Or put her on the teeter-totter type thing. Or help her up the last step of the ladder to her big slide. Or jump on the trampoline. Coralyn, smart little girl that she is, has figured out how to solve all of these problems. If I put Kellah in the baby swing, then my hands are free to do whatever Coralyn wants me to do with her! And so, Coralyn lets me know when Kellah wants to swing. :)
Coralyn also lets me know when Kellah wants her toy, or to take a nap, or to drink her milk, or roll over on her tummy, or get out of the Bumbo seat, or swim in the pool, or go play outside. Which brings us back to Coralyn informing me, "Mommy, Kellah wants to swing."
Yesterday, Coralyn didn't get many opportunities to help me know what Kellah wanted to do, because Kellah actually took a really, really good afternoon nap. Coralyn, on the other hand, decided that she wanted to "wake up." And so, I got to spend quite a bit of quality one-on-one time with Coralyn. After we finished her "school stuff," we were playing with her cards that her grandma gave her for Easter. One set was "Crazy Eggs," and I used it to help her recognize numbers. The other set was "Go Chick," and I had her find matching pairs, sort of like Memory only with the cards face up. After she found both carrots, I told her, "That's a match," and put the set of cards off to the side. Then I asked her, "Can you find another pair?" She looked intently at the cards, searching and searching. After a bit, she looked up at me, a bit confused and frustrated. "Mommy, there aren't any pears!"
Speaking of food, Coralyn loves to eat. One of her favorites, at least most days, is bananas. She used to eat bananas all the time, like 2 or 3 day if I would have let her. Now, she is content with just one banana, as long as it doesn't have any brown on it whatsoever! Any speck of brown is met with, "This one's yucky, Mommy! I want a good one." Or, the banana will pass her inspection and she will eat it, or part of it. "I want to save the rest for later," she informs me. Well, later, the banana has turned brown, of course, and is "yucky." And so she needs a new one. Not to waste bananas, I usually eat her "for later" bananas, as well as any brown parts she finds in the initial banana. Last night, after supper, I was cleaning up the dishes, and Coralyn was happily playing with her kitchen. She came over to me with a plastic lemon, but before she handed it to me, she pretended to take a bite. "It had a brown part, Mommy." Just to make sure I understood, I asked, "So you ate the brown part and the rest is for me?" "Yep!" So sweet!
Well, the big sister has awakened from her slumber, so I will have to pause for now and finish up the next time both girls work together and sleep simutaneously!
Okay, it's Friday morning at 8 am and both girls are still in bed. Granted, Coralyn woke up at 6:15 asking for breakfast, but when I offered her the chance to climb into bed with me for a bit, she took it. She's been fast asleep ever since! Uh, never mind. She just woke up. I guess I will have to wait a bit longer to get my thoughts onto virtual paper after all! :)
Nap time...Kellah is sleeping, and Coralyn is "resting" in her room. Let's see if I can actually get anything accomplished this go around.
One of Coralyn's latest phases is, "Watch this, Mommy!" Then, she will do something she thinks is worthy of my attention. Like pump her fists together. Or shut her eyes and make a funny noise. Or mimic exercise drill she saw me doing for the 30 Day Shred. And let me just say, her plank moves are pretty cute. As are her jumping jacks, squat jumps, and oblique twists. I do believe the time went faster when Coralyn did the workout video with me the other day. :)
Another phase Coralyn has been saying all too frequently these days is, "I'm just..." and fill in the blank based on the situation. For example, we're making muffins and I tell her not to eat any of the batter until after I have filled the bread pans. I go to get the pans and turn around to see Coralyn licking the spoon. "I'm just having a taste, Mommy," she explains oh so innocently. Or this morning I was feeding Kellah and I could hear Coralyn in the other room doing something with her spoon, and it wasn't eating her yogurt. I called out, "Please don't make a mess, please." Her reply, "I'm just making a road." On the table, with her yogurt, I assumed. Sure enough, when I came to investigate, I found a nice little trail of "white yogurt" all along the edge of the table. I think my favorite though is when I tell Coralyn, "Don't touch," as we're in the grocery store and she answers, "I'm just looking," while she picks up a box of fruit snacks or a jar of peanut butter or whatever else she can get her hands on. I don't think she fully grasps that you "look with your eyes," as my mother used to always tell me.
One last thing, and then I'm done. Especially since Coralyn just "woke up" and informed me that I want to "watch the news."
Every morning Coralyn gets a vitamin. This is new, as we had been doing a liquid vitamin thing that I would just add to her cup of milk or her yogurt. But now we have changed to a chewable vitamin, and she loves them! She only gets one a day, but she constantly asks for more, like they are a real treat! The vitamins are shaped like different wild animals. As I get down the bottle of vitamins, Coralyn always, without fail, will jump up and down as she asks with sheer excitement, "What should it be today, Mommy?" I always smile and hand her the vitamin, delighted that she is so enthusiastic about being healthy!
Well, like I said, Coralyn is done "resting" and so I am going to take advantage of the opportunity to spend some more quality one-on-one time with her while Kellah continues to be a sweet little angel and actually sleep! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive