Monday, April 9, 2012

Kisses From Katie

After hearing so many good reviews of this book, I went to the library to check it out and read it for myself. Well, apparently, more than a few people had heard the same reviews and beat me to the library. I was put on quite a lengthly waiting list, and now, about four months later, I have the book in my hands.
I've just read the Forward and Introduction, and already, I have been challenged, moved, convicted, inspired, encouraged, and much more.
Here's some of what got me most:
"People who really want to make a difference in the world usually do it, in one way or another. And I've noticed something about people who make a difference in the world: They hold the unshakeable conviction that individuals are extremely important, that every life matters. They get excited over one smile. They are willing to feed one stomach, educate one mind, and treat one wound. They aren't determined to revoluntionize the world all at once; they're satisfied with small changes. Over time, though, the small changes add up. Sometimes they even transform cities and nations, and yes, the world."
I remember when I first went to Haiti in 2005. I had just graduated from college and was full of spunk and energy. And I was naive. I thought that I was going to change the country of Haiti, or at least the education system! Oh my! After a few short days I realized this was going to be a much, much, much harder task than I had ever imagined. Just getting the teachers within our small ministry to do things differently was like eating nails. Not to mention having the children adjust to the new way of school and learning. I worked so hard, and saw so little change. BUT, I did see small improvements -- like a child using scissors correctly or not dumping the entire bottle of glitter during an art project. I did see progress happen ever so slowly, and rejoiced greatly every time -- like when my students could explain why ice melted or how they figured out how to divide 12 cookies among their 6 friends. But I wanted to do more than teach children how to use art supplies and do math problems. Eventually, I had to accept that I wasn't going to change the education system, let alone the entire country of Haiti. However, I didn't give up either. Instead, I focused on what I could do. I could love the children in the ministry. I could teach them how to play soccer, make pizza and chocolate chip cookies, use a glue stick properly, add and subtract, and things along those lines. I could let 5 different girls braid my hair, all at the same time! And by doing these "little" things, I was changing the country of Haiti. I was just doing it one child at a time.
In the Foreward, Beth Clark reminded me of this. She also inspired me to think of ways that I can make a difference right here, right now. Her words both challenged and encouraged me.
So did Katie's message in the Introduction to her book. Everything she has said thus far has been so good. I want to copy and paste all 5 pages, but I will try to limit myself to just a few select passages.
Like this one:
"And the fact that I loved Jesus was beginning to interfere with the plans I once had for my life and certainly with the plans others had for me. My heart had been apprehended by a great love, a love that compelled me to live differently...As I read and learned more and more of what Jesus said, I liked the lifestyle I saw around me less and less. I began to realize that God wanted more from me, and I wanted more of Him. He began to grow in me a desire to live intentionally, and different from anyone I had ever known."
And this one:
"So I quit my life...I no longer have all the things the world says are important. I do not have a retirement fund; I do not even have electricity some days. But I have everything I know is important. I have a joy and a peace that are unimaginable and can come only form a place better than this earth. I cannot fathom being happier. Jesus wrecked my life, shattered it to pieces, and put it back together more beautifully."
Then, there's this:
"Sometimes working in a Third World country makes me feel like I am emptying the ocean with an eyedropper...I have learned to be okay with this feeling because I have learned that I will not change the world. Jesus will do that. I can, however, change the world for one person...And if one person sees the love of Christ in me, it is worth every minute. In fact, it is worth spending my life for."
Katie addresses the issue of "being safe" and reminds us, "Jesus called His followers to be a lot of things, but I have yet to find where He warned us to be safe. We are not called to be safe, we are simply promised that when we are in danger, God is right there with us. And there is no better place to be than in His hands."
She also writes about how she isn't living out her dreams, or at least what she originally planned or thought were her dreams. Why not? God has changed her dreams into His dreams for her, her plans into His plans. And so she can say with utter confidence that she is now living out the desires of her heart and couldn't be happier, as David promised in Psalm 37:4, one of Katie's favorite passages of Scripture.
So she must have the perfect life, right? Things must be so easy for Katie now that she is making a difference and changing the world, right? WRONG! She assures us, "It sounds beautiful, adventurous, even romantic in ways, right? It is beautiful. And the crazy thing is, it is so simple. Don't misunderstand: it is NOT easy. But is is simple in that each and every one of us was ultimaely created to do the same thing. It will not look the same. It may take place in a foreign land or it may take place in your backyard, but I believe that we were each created to change the world for someone. To serve someone. To love someone the way Christ first loved us, to spread His light. This is the dream, and it is possible. Some days it is excruciatingly difficult, but the blessings far outweigh the hardships."
And that's just the introduction to the book. I haven't even started Chapter One!!! As everyone who read this book before me said, I think this will change my life, or how I live it. And that is exactly what I want, what I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive