Wednesday, May 16, 2012

The Big Sister

Kellah will be 5 months old tomorrow!!!  And I will be posting pictures of her and updating you on all her most recent accomplishments.  I know, I know...you are on the edge of your seat with anticipation.  You might not even be able to sleep tonight. :)

Since I don't really do a monthly post/update for Coralyn now that she is way past a year old, and it takes far too long for me to calculate exactly how many months she is anyway!  Let's see...she was born in October of 2009.  In October 2011 she turned two, making her 24 months.  This April she was officially 2 and a half, putting her at 30 months.  Now that it's May, she is 31 months.  Like I said, that took up way too much time.  Not to mention, she's not reaching new milestones like rolling over, crawling, sitting up, taking her first steps, or anything like that.  Instead, I have started keeping track of al the cute, funny, shocking, brillant, convicting things she says!

All by myself!  Independence seems to be a pretty common theme around our house these days.  Coralyn wants to get dressed by herself, and she can.  But it sure is funny to watch her pull up her "big girl pants" and then her shorts!  She wants to go potty all by herself.  She wants to get in and out of the car all by herself.  She wants to pour her milk all by herself.  Needless to say, I don't oblige on that one!

That was funny!  Coralyn has a great sense of humor and likes to laugh, for sure!  Lately, any time something makes her laugh or she notices something out of the ordinary or she attempts telling a joke, she'll announce, "That was funny!"  Kellah evidentally thinks Coralyn is hilarious because she will laugh and laugh at her big sister.  I love hearing them giggle together!!!

Will you kiss it?  We are now in the "I have a boo-boo.  Will you kiss it?" stage.  Thankfully, a kiss is all she needs to feel better and get back to playing happily.  The other day we were at the park, eating our picnic lunch.  I had packed an orange, more for me than Coralyn really because she very rarely eats more than one slice before she decides to "save the rest for later."  Coralyn asked me to peel the orange, and I wasn't really in the mood to deal with a sticky mess, and so I tried to get out of it.  "I have a sore on my finger, and if I open up the orange it will burn my boo-boo."  She didn't bat an eyelash.  "I'll kiss it for you," she kindly offered.  I was touched by her tender thoughtfulness.  I should have known there was something behind her sweetness!  Immediately after she kissed my finger, she looked up at me and asked, "Now will you open it?"  Apparently, her kiss had made my boo-boo all better and I was now able to peel the orange without any difficulty!  Of course, I gave in and peeled the orange for her.  She ate three slices!

Are we going a special way?  Coralyn has a keen sense of direction, which she most certainly did not inherit from me!  Lately, I have been taking the "long way" to the park so I can squeeze in a few extra minutes of exercise.  When we didn't take our normal turn, Coralyn noticed and shouted out that I needed to go "that way" and pointed in the direction of the park.  I explained we were going a "special way" and would still have plenty of time to play on the swings and slides.  The other day we left the house to run errands, one of which was getting the oil changed in the Yukon.  I had set aside a Jiffy Lube coupon and was glad to save $18.  However, in my haste to get out the door and load the girls up, I forgot the coupon on the kitchen counter.  Thankfully, I realized my mistake shortly after we left the house and started to turn around to go back home and get the coupon.  As we were driving on a "new" street, Coralyn asked, "Are we going home a special way?"  Nothing gets by you, kid!  This morning on our way to Deanna Rose, I missed my exit and had to turn around.  Once again, Coralyn was aware of my directional difficulties and commented, "We're going a special way!"  Yep, we sure are! 

Are you frustrated? Did I mention that nothing gets by Coralyn without her noticing, and remembering for the rest of her life?  When I get frustrated, I tend to make noises.  Like growling.  For the first few times Coralyn heard me do this, she would ask what was wrong.  I would explain that I was just frustrated because I had made a mess or that I had made a wrong turn or that I had found out some sad news.  The other day I was unloading the dishwasher, only to discover that yet again the dishes weren't clean.  I mumbled and grrrrred.  Coralyn was in the kitchen, eating her breakfast.  She stopped mid-bite.  "Mommy, are you frustrated?"  Yes, yes I was!!! 

I'm SO big!  Coralyn takes great delight in reminding me that she is growing up.  Out of nowhere, she will tell me, "Mommy, I'm SO big!"  I guess being just plain ol' big doesn't cut it.  No, for Coralyn, it is all or nothing.  It's go hard or go home.  And I like that about her...for the most part! :)

I am certainly blessed to have Coralyn in my life!  I love being her mommy and am looking forward to the next 31 months (and more) with her!  Who knows what all she will do, and say, between now and then!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive