Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Love Like No Other

This morning I am overwhelmed with the love God has for me.

I don't deserve His love.  More like His condemnation.  Yet, Romans 8:1 assures me, "So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus."

How is this possible?  I am a sinner, guilty, and worthy of death.  BUT instead of receiving the death penalty, I have been offered the free gift of eternal life. 
"For the power of the life-giving Spirit has freed you
through Christ Jesus
from the power of sin that leads to death. 
The law of Moses could not save us,
because of our sinful nature.
But God put into effect a different plan to save us.
He sent His own Son in a human body, like ours,
except that ours are sinful.
God destroyed sin's control over us
by giving His Son as a sacrifice for our sins.
He did this so that the requirement of the law
would be fully accomplished for us
who no longer follow our sinful nature but instead follow the Spirit."

And so, I am free.
Completely and totally forgiven.  My sins are washed away, by the blood of the Lamb.
And I am free.
Free for God to love me, as He intended from the very beginning.
Free to love God in return.

"For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God.
So you should not be like cowering, fearful slaves.
You should behave instead like God's very own children,
adopted into His family - calling Him 'Father, dear Father.'
For his Holy Spirit speaks to us deep in our hearts
and tells us that we are God's children.
And since we are His children, we will share His treasures -
for everything God gives to His Son, Christ, is ours too."

 
Wow!!!  Talk about love. 

Not only did God forgive my sins, but in so doing He paid for them, Himself.  He sacrificed His Son, on my behalf.  Jesus died, so that I could live.

And if being granted eternal life wasn't enough, God has adopted me into His family.  I am no longer His enemy, but His child.  His precious, dearly loved child.  That alone boggles my mind.  But this, this totally blows it to smitherines, "And since we are His children, we will share His treasures - for everything God gives to His Son, Christ, is ours too."

Say what?!!!  Are you serious?  Is that a typo?  Did I read that wrong? 

I can't help but think of a hymn we sang at Moody from time to time.  It was Dr. Stowell's favorite.  "How Deep the Father's Love for Us" captures what my heart is feeling today as I try to wrap my mind around the love God has for me.

How deep the Father's love for us,
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His Only Son
To make a wretch His treasure

How great the pain of searing loss,
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the Chosen One,
Bring many sons to glory

Behold the Man upon a cross,
My sin upon His shoulders
Ashamed I hear my mocking voice,
Call out among the scoffers

It was my sin that left Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished

I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection

Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom


I don't really know how to respond to this love, except to love God in return.  And certainly I should.

How can I not?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive