Friday, December 23, 2011

Little Giant

I think Coralyn doubled in size overnight! Not really, but it certainly seems like she is a little giant these days. Even when she’s not next to Kellah, Coralyn just seems bigger. Her head is massive, and she must have gained 10 pounds because she’s so much heavier when I try to help her climb up on the couch. I think she’s taller too.

I realize Coralyn’s new giant status is directly related to Kellah being a newborn, and a somewhat small one at that. People “warned” us that Coralyn would look so much bigger as we compared her to Kellah. And I was ready, or so I thought, to see my firstborn all “grown-up” as a big sister.

Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE watching Coralyn interact with Kellah and am delighted that she is adjusting so well to her new role as the big girl of the house. I am not all that thrilled, however, that in a matter of days Coralyn has lost all sense of “baby” and “little girl.” These changes only serve to remind me that time is flying by all too quickly, that if I keep blinking Coralyn is going to be getting on the bus for her first day of school and then waving her high school diploma and then driving off to college and before I know it she will be walking down the aisle in her wedding dress! Pure madness, I tell you, pure madness!

What can I do to slow things down? Nothing! I am absolutely helpless here. The only thing I can do is to enjoy every moment, to treasure each day. And in the process, be intentional about filling each day with memories. They don’t have to be big, spectacular memories. Ordinary, basic memories – baking muffins or cookies, finger painting, reading books, playing hide and seek – will do.

And so that is the plan for today. While Kellah sleeps, the Little Giant and I will bake Christmas cookies. Maybe I’ll even be brave enough to include frosting in this special memory.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive