Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Rest

Sitting, being still, resting, doing “nothing”…they are all extremely hard for me. And so, for me, “recovering” from birth is not easy.

Since I feel like I had an “easy” birth, it’s especially hard for me to rest. I don’t feel like I need to rest. I think I am good to go and should be able to return to my normal routine without any problems. BUT, I know that resting is actually the best thing for me. Plus, Lawrence is doing an excellent job taking care of everything around the house anyway. He’s not really giving me a chance to find things to do.

Right now, Lawrence and Coralyn are out having some special Daddy-Daughter Time. They plan to visit the library, pick up some things at Wal-Mart, buy a Christmas present for Lawrence’s dad, and maybe even stop by the play area in Zona Rosa. You would think that having the house all to myself (well, Kellah is with me, of course) would be a dream come true. Peace and quiet. Nothing on the agenda. Pure bliss, right?

Everything within me wants to get up off the couch and clean the kitchen like I do every Tuesday, or go downstairs and work on the computer (I am being a good girl and using Lawrence’s laptop right now), or clean up the bathrooms just a bit, or at least bake something (oh wait, both my fridge and freezer are completely full due to generous family and friends!). I am resisting all those temptations, however. I am ignoring Satan’s lies that I am not accomplishing anything important, that I am wasting time, that I am not valuable since I am not really truly “doing” anything. Instead, I am listening to God’s voice, as He whispers in my ear to come and sit with Him, to enjoy these moments, to cherish this time as a precious gift from Him. For that indeed is what this period of rest and recovery is.

Kellah will never be 3 days old again. She won’t always sleep contentedly on my chest. I won’t have her completely to myself for the whole morning very often, if ever! And so, I am just sitting here on the couch “doing nothing.” Or so it would seem. In reality, I am doing 2 things, the two most important and valuable things I could possibly be doing: loving on my beautiful baby girl and soaking up the presence of my own heavenly Father.

How fitting that today’s entry in the devotional book Jesus Calling by Sarah Young is called, “Clear the Clutter.” The last paragraph spoke directly to me and quieted my heart and mind as I was feeling guilty about doing “nothing” this morning.


Remember, your real goal in this life is not to check everything off a to-do list.
It is to live close to Me.
Seek My Face all throughout this day.
Let My Presence clear away the clutter in your mind, and flood you with My Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive