Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Other Sarah Young

Some of you might have heard of the “other” Sarah Young. She happens to be a pretty famous author. You may have read her book Jesus Calling.

I first saw this book when I was still living in Haiti. I was at another missionary’s house, and there on the back of their toilet was a devotional book by none other than Sarah Young. I was Sarah Smith at the time, but I knew that in less than a year my name would be the same as this author. Having always wanted to be a published author, I had to smile. I guess I had accomplished my goal without even knowing! :)

I still hope to become a published author someday. Maybe this other Sarah Young has paved the way for me and by mistake people will think I am her and accidentally agree to publish something I write. And then, when the book is on the shelves, shoppers will think I am the other Sarah Young and actually buy my work! I can dream right :)

With all that said, my whole purpose in this blog post is to share something that this other Sarah Young has taught me. Jeanne Hewitt generously gave me a copy of her book Jesus Calling: 365 Devotions for Kids. Her gift was extremely fitting in several ways: the book itself is orange, our favorite color; the bird on the book is teal, another one of our preferred colors; the devotions are geared toward kids, with whom we love working and just so happen to think like them too! The devotions are nice and short, so I can read them even if I only have a few minutes to sit and catch my breath before I am beckoned back to my duties as a stay-at-home mom. And although the entries aren’t long, they are deep, speaking to my heart and mind in profound ways. I always put the book down challenged, inspired, encouraged, or uplifted.

Yesterday and today were no different. Both entries hit home and go along well with the blog post I wrote yesterday (but didn’t get posted until this morning). Like our pastor says, “Where you are in the Word is where you are at in life,” meaning that God’s Word is active and alive, sharper than a two-edged sword, and very much speaks to us still today.

The devotion entry for December 21 (the anniversary of our miscarriage) is entitled “Traveling”:


I have a perfect plan for your life. But I don’t show it to you all at once. It is like a road that you must travel one step at a time.

Sometimes the road seems blocked, or it opens up so slowly that you feel frustrated. But then, when the time is right, the way before you suddenly clears. All that you have longed for and worked for is given to you freely – as a gift. And that is when you catch a glimpse of My Power and My Glory.

Don’t be afraid of your weakness. It’s like a stage where My Power and My Glory are the actors, putting on amazing shows. Just keep walking along the path I have prepared for you, depending on My Strength to keep you going. Expect to see some miracles – and you will. Not just anyone can see My miracles, but those who live by faith can see them clearly. When you walk by faith – going step by step with Me – you are able to see my Glory.

If you go back and look at the blog post from yesterday (this morning), you will see how fitting this journal entry was. I love how God blows my face off like this. I was brought to tears as God yet again confirmed His power and presence in our lives, reassuring me that He is still guiding and directing us along the perfect path He has laid out for us. He has gone before us to prepare the way, and He will be right there with us each and every step of the way. He will provide for all our needs no matter how big or small, give us the courage to face any obstacles on the journey, draw us closer to Himself as He transforms us into the people He created us to be, and best of all reveal His glory to us in some amazing ways (like He just did with Kellah!).

As if that wasn’t enough, the devotion entry for today was also fitting, combining my blog post about Rest and the idea of following God wherever He leads. It’s titled, “Do as the Wise Men Did”:


Come and sit with Me for a while. I want you to think about who I really am…

Praise and worship are the best responses to the wonder of who I am. Sing praises to My holy Name. Gaze at Me in silent worship. Look for a “star” of guidance in your own life, and be ready to follow wherever I lead you. I am the Light from heaven that shines upon you – to guide you along the path of Peace.


Yet again, God reminds me that this time of rest and recovery is a blessing, a gift, an opportunity to look back at how He has been working in my life and to prepare my heart for what is to come. He reiterates the importance of keeping my eyes on Jesus so that I will be able to run with endurance the race He has set before me. And despite not knowing what I will encounter along the way, God keeps me from becoming overwhelmed with worry and fear as He tells me time and time again that the path He has for me leads to peace (even if it may not seem like it at a particular moment of the journey).

God is pretty awesome! I am glad He uses people like this “other” Sarah Young to remind me of that and to keep me going as I do my best to follow hard after Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive