Monday, December 12, 2011

Thank You, Simon

Well, I am still pregnant, so I'm not blogging to announce the joyous arrival of our precious little one! Sorry. I know many of you are waiting in eager anticipation...as are we! :) But for now, we just have to wait. This baby already has a mind of her own and is going to come when she is ready. I can't imagine where she gets her stubbornness :)

Actually, I am writing today to share how God has blown us away, yet again. You would think by now I would be "used" to God doing amazing things, going above and beyond our wildest dreams to answer our prayers. But I'm not. Every time He does something like this I am speechless. I can't help but stand in awe. I think that is okay though. I think God likes to surprise us, to bless our socks off, to cause us to fall to our faces and worship Him because there is nothing else we can do.

Yesterday afternoon, Coralyn was actually taking a nap (that right there is a huge blessing these days!) and Lawrence and I were enjoying the opportunity to just sit on the couch and veg. We had been watching the Chiefs' game, but it wasn't really much of a football game as the Jets were winning by a landslide. We turned on Netflix and started watching a documentary about Yellowstone. We were learning quite a bit about the harsh, 6-month-long winter and how the animals survive the extreme conditions. Fascinating actually and reminding us how awesome of a creator God is as He equipped these plants and animals to survive in the freezing cold and icy snow.

About half-way through the film, my cell phone rang. I automatically assumed it was my mom or some family member calling to see if we were doing okay since they hadn't received news of a baby yet. I was surprised to see Jeanne Hewitt's name on the caller ID. Happy though, as Jeanne is one of my favorite people on the planet. She wanted to know if we were home so she could drop off an envelope that was left on her desk. Someone had typed our names on the envelope and written her a letter asking if she would deliver it to us. A few minutes later, Jeanne was in our living room, and we were curious about this mysterious envelope.

Inside was a letter explaining that a group of people at our church had gotten together to bless other families at DC. Somehow they chose us and wanted to give us some money.

A LOT OF MONEY!

We started crying, as we were taken aback by the extreme generosity of this group of people from our church. We were speechless as God showed how He had heard our prayers for Him to provide for our needs and decided to answer above and beyond what we ever had imagined.

With me not having any daycare kiddos our budget has been very tight. And since we don't have any idea if or when I will have daycare kiddos again, we don't really know how our finances are going to work out in the coming months. We just know that I am supposed to be at home with our girls and that God will open a door for me to work from home, whether that be watching daycare kiddos, having a preschool in our home, cleaning other people's house, writing a book, or something totally different. We are playing the waiting game (seems to be a theme in our lives right now!). As we wait, we simply have to trust that God is in control, that He has prepared the way before us, and that He will show us every step to take. This has not been easy for us, especially me as I hate waiting and really like to know all the details so I can plan everything out just perfectly.

God is faithful though. And good. He has been working on my heart, and in my mind, to give me peace as I learn to let Him do His thing, in His timing. I am getting better at trusting Him, but it still doesn't come naturally.

Today, I am still in awe of God's provision. We had no idea really how we were going to be able to pay our midwife when the baby was born (any day now!) and still pay all our bills for the month. Lawrence is working a second job at the gym and giving plasma. We are doing everything in our own power to make ends meet, but still we are falling short. We are totally and completely dependent on God to miraculously come through for us.

And He did!
We had a prenatal appointment just hours later and were able to give the money we had just received to our midwife. We still owe her a little more, but now we have enough money in our bank account to pay her the remaining sum and still pay our bills for the month!

I have no idea who the people are who gave us this money. Not even the leaders of our church know. But, I want to say a great big thank you to them. And to God, our Jehovah Jireh, who not only provides for our every need, but goes above and beyond in answering our prayers.

Just this weekend our pastor talked about how following Jesus, taking up your cross daily to deny yourself and put His kingdom first, can be hard. So hard at times that you simply can't carry your cross on your own. You have to get help from other believers. Just as Simon carried Jesus' cross for Him, so we too must rely on our brothers and sisters to help us along the way. I certainly am thankful for the Simons who came along beside us yesterday. I don't know how they knew of our need. I don't know why they chose to bless us when there are so many other families at our church. All I know is that God must have whispered our names in their ears and that they were listening.

So, once again I want to say THANK YOU to the Simons from Desperation Church!
I pray God's blessing upon each and every one of you.
May He lavish His love on you as you have done for us.

And THANK YOU, GOD, for taking such good care of us.
As you have blessed us, may be in turn bless others.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive