Monday, February 20, 2012

Forgotten God

This month, I have been reading the book Forgotten God by Francis Chan. He talks about our "tragic neglect of the Holy Spirit" and the importance of recognizing our desperate need for and total dependence on God, particularly His Holy Spirit.

Some of the things He has said have hit me hard and raised questions in my mind about my own life and the Holy Spirit's role in it.

For example,

Speaking of people's claim that God has called them to live where they are rather than truly being willing to follow the Spirit wherever He may lead. Chan counters,
And maybe you are called to where you live. But if you say you are called to be in the place you are, a few questions need to be considered.
For example, how would you be missed if you left this place?
What would change?
Basically, what difference does your presence here make?
Or, as my youth pastor once asked me, what would your church (and the worldwide church) look like if everyone was as committed as you are?
If everyone gave and served and prayed exactly like you, would the church be healthy and empowered? Or would it be weak and listless?

Along those same lines, Chan addresses our well-intended desire to "figure out God's desire for our lives." He argues that we often use this as an excuse for doing nothing. We wait around to see what God's will is for our future instead of focusing on what He has for us TODAY.

He writes, "I think dwelling on God's plan for the future often excuses us from faithful and sacrificial living now. It tends to create a safe zone of sorts, where we can sit around and have 'spiritual' conversations about what God 'might' have planned for our lives. Thinking, questioning, and talking can take the place of letting the Spirit affect our immediate actions in radical ways. God wants to see His children stake everything on His power and presence in their lives."

Chan goes on to say, "a lot of people add Jesus to their lives. People who have, in a sense, asked Him to join them on their journey, to follow them wherever they feel they should go, rather than following Him as we are commanded. The God of the universe is not something we can just add to our lives and keep on as we did before. The Spirit who raised Christ from the dead is not someone we can just call on when we want a little extra power in our lives. Jesus Christ did not die in order to follow us. He died and rose again so that we could forget everything else and follow Him to the cross, to true Life."

Adding to that idea, Chan challenges us to look at our lives and see if the Holy Spirit's presence and power is readily evident. Or are we living in a way that reflects we think we don't really need God all that much?

He explains, "I don't believe God wants me (or any of His children) to live in a way that makes sense from the world's perspective, a way I know I can 'manage.' I believe He is calling me - and all of us - to depend on Him for living in a way that cannot be mimicked or forged. He wants us to walk in step with His Spirit rather than depend solely on the raw talent and knowledge He's given us."

He goes on and uses the stories of Gideon and the prophet Elijah and the prophets of Baal to illustrate His point. "God wants the praise for what we do in our lives. But if we never pray audacious, courageous prayers, how can He answer them? If we never follow Him to positions where we need Him, how can He show up and make His presence known?
Can you, along with Elijah and Gideon, say that when people see your life they respond by praising our Father?
When I live by own power and strength, relying solely on my natural talents to see my through, then people naturally praise me for how I am living. But when I am living in a way that requires me to depend on the Holy Spirit, people respond by praising my Father in heaven."

I haven't finished the book yet, but so far I have been challenged to "up my game," quite a bit. I have realized my own "neglect" of the Holy Spirit and want to make some changes. I don't want to ask the Holy Spirit to join me on my little journey. I want to surrender all my hopes and dreams, plans and purposes, along with the need/desire to know every little detail along the way. In exchange for my hair-brain ideas, I want to follow hard after God, going wherever He leads and doing whatever He has for me, even if it doesn't make sense. In fact, in all honesty I don't want my life to make sense. That would mean I am relying on myself, playing it safe, and ultimately missing out on the amazing things God has for me, and my family. So, as Chan wrote, I want to live radically, in such a way that people look at my life and think I am crazy, BUT can't deny God's power and presence in it. In fact, they HAVE to praise God for what they see happening in my life because there is no other explanation for what's going on.

In Francis Chan's words,
"I don't want my life to be explainable without the Holy Spirit. I want people to look at my life and know that I couldn't be doing this by my own power. I want to live in such a way that I am desperate for Him to come through. That if He doesn't come through, I am screwed. (I probably shouldn't write that word here, but it's how I truly feel about this.)"

And now that you know this about me, you can keep me accountable. If you see that my life is boring, manageable, and making sense, then call me out. Remind me to live radically, to go all out in my pursuit of knowing Christ and making Him known. Challenge me to run hard, to keep my eyes on the prize, and to finish the course that GOD has prepared for me.

Better yet, why not join me and we can do this together? I've always been a better runner when I have a partner anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive