Thursday, February 2, 2012

Would You Like Some Cheese with Your Wine?

This morning was somewhat stressful. And my patience was growing thin, extremely thin.

Coralyn has had a perpetual runny nose for the past week or so. The poor girl can't help it, and I do feel sorry for her. BUT, after I hear, "Wipe my nose," in a pretty whiny voice mind you, for the 5oth time in the span of two minutes, I get a bit frustrated and my compassion seems to dwindle.

I have tried to get her to wipe her own nose, to no avail. And even when I wipe her nose, it doesn't really matter. Three seconds later, snot is dripping out again anyway. I have tried using that wonderful bulb syringe thingy to suck all the disgusting snot and boogers out of Coralyn's nose, but it doesn't seem to be helping much. Not to mention that Coralyn absolutely HATES the process, even if I volunteer to let her use it on my nose after I am done with hers. And let me just say that she can jam that thing up there pretty darn hard! Ouch! All the name of love, and ridding the world of snotty noses, though right?! :)

So, this morning, Coralyn was fussy and asking me repeatedly to wipe her nose. Kellah was trying to decide if she was tired or hungry, and her cries were quickly turning to screams as neither her nor I could figure out what she wanted/needed. Plus, I was trying to feed her while wiping Coralyn's nose. Apparently, Coralyn thought that I would pay more attention to her if she chimed in and cried too. I tried explaining that Kellah is a baby and can't talk, but that she (Coralyn) is a big girl and needs to use her words to tell me what is wrong or how I can help her. I don't think Coralyn heard me though, as my voice was muted out by the girls' cries which were growing louder by the nano second.

We needed to get groceries this morning, cries and all. Somehow, we all got into the Yukon in one piece. Thankfully, Kellah decided a nap would do her good, and she was fast asleep by the time we pulled out of the driveway. Coralyn got the hint and amazingly started talking in a regular voice and pointing things out to me as we drove down the road. Ahhhh....

I wasn't sure how much more crying I could handle. And it was only 8:47 in the morning! Not a great start to the day.

That got me thinking. I know, I know. Bear with me.

I am pretty sure that I do a lot of crying out to God. And I am quite certain I don't always use a grown-up voice when I do. No, I'm fairly positive that I sound more like a whiny, annoying toddler. Plus, I tend to cry about the same thing over and over again. I wonder if God ever gets tired of my cries? I wonder if His patience wears thin? I wonder if He gets frustrated with me? I wonder if my "problems" are like a constant running nose in God's eyes? Does He view my requests and pleas as yucky, nasty snot that just won't go away? I wonder if He wishes I would learn how to wipe my own nose or that my nose would stop running altogether?

Whatever the case may be, I am thankful that God's Word tells me to keep on crying out to Him, to bring my requests before Him, to lay them at His feet. Even better, God promises that He will not only hear my cries, but actually listen to them, even if I am using a whiny voice. We tell Coralyn that we don't understand whine and won't listen to her unless she uses a big girl voice and asks nicely. Maybe I should practice what I preach. I am sure God would appreciate it! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive