Thursday, February 23, 2012

Let Me Help

"Let me help, Mommy," has become quite the common phrase in our house these days. I am excited that Coralyn wants to help and actually sees ways that she can make my life a bit easier. However, her help isn't always that helpful, and it's those times when I wish she wasn't such a nice, kind, caring, compassionate little girl.

For the most part, she actually does a great job of truly helping me.
*puts her dirty clothes in the hamper
*picks up her toys
*gets her coat on by herself
*brings me my phone when I am nursing Kellah

Other times she somewhat helps, but I usually go back over her work. :)
*wipes off the table
*sweeps the floor
*puts away her clean clothes

Then there's those times when her good intentions result in more work for me.
*winding up the vacuum cord
*dumping her potty into the big potty
*getting milk out of the fridge so she can have some more
*rolling Kellah from her tummy to her back


Earlier today I needed to vacuum, so Coralyn helped me pick everything up off the floor. Great! While I vacuumed, she "hid" on the couch and then read books. When I was done, I was winding up the cord and she runs over, "Let me help, Mommy!" She was more in my way than anything and it took at least twice as long to get the job done. Having her be in charge of finding the end of the cord helped for a few seconds, until the end of the cord was by the vacuum...

As I tried to let her help me and appreciate her good intentions, I had to smile as I pictured myself telling God, "I want to help." How many times do I try to "help" Him out and really just end up making His job more difficult? How many times do I get in the way in the name of "helping?" How often do I think I have really "helped" God out when in reality I have created more work for Him? I walk away smiling, proud of myself for being such a good little girl. If I were to look back, I might see a smirk on God's face as He begins to redo what I just did or, worse, tries to undo it.

The next time Coralyn kindly offers, "Let me help, Mommy," I need to remember how patient God is with me. How He graciously allows me to actually be involved in His kingdom work. How He lovingly shows me what to do time and time and time again. How He mercifully doesn't show me all the mistakes I make, but rather applauds me for my efforts. In the same way that I so often praise Coralyn, "Oh thank you so much. You are such a good helper!"

Well, it's time to go finish up supper. I better go get my little helper...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive