Thursday, August 15, 2013

Rethinking Success

This morning, I got up early to take a walk.  Success!!!

I stepped outside, only to discover rain falling.  Fail.

Not to be dismayed, I went back inside, grabbed my hand weights and did some exercises on my porch while watching the rain.  Success.

I then sat down and just prayed, enjoying the peace as I listened to the gentle patter of the rain.  I sensed God's presence and was once again overwhelmed with both His power and His tender love.  Definitely success.

Once I was showered and ready for the day ahead, I made my breakfast and sat down to check my email and facebook.  I am taking part in a daily "challenge" with some of my fellow It Works (some I know personally and many others I don't) as we seek to be successful in this crazy business.  Our assignment for today is to read the Success from Home magazine that came in our Starter Kit.  Fitting, given we each want to succeed as a distributor.

When I got my kit, back in February, I just kind of flipped through the magazine but didn't really take the time to sit down and read it cover to cover.  I figured the stories would be all about how wealthy these top-earning distributors were, how they lavishly spent their money, and things like that.  I knew that people were making outrageous salaries in this business, but I didn't really see how that directly applied to me personally.  First, I was just starting out and didn't expect to make 5 figures in a month.  Second, even if I did make that much money, I'm not the type of person to go out and buy a mansion or sports car or designer clothes/purses/etc or take exotic vacations all the time.  And so I didn't read the magazine.

I wish I would have.

Today, as I read each and every story in the magazine, I was struck by the HEART of It Works and our company's founders/leaders.  I was taken aback by their passion and drive, not to make piles of cash, but rather to CHANGE LIVES. 

Our top earner Kami Dempsey shared her "secret" to success: Enhancing your own life is good.  Focusing on enhancing others' lives leads to greatness.  

I love that!!!  I can relate to Kami -- even though she is a millionaire and I am certainly not!!!  Before she joined It Works (just a few years ago), she was a teacher and coach.  She is also a Christian and loves Jesus -- giving Him all the credit for her success.  She shared how she starts each day with prayer and time in the Word.  She isn't praying for God to bless her bank account, but rather focusing on the people on her team, asking God to bring others in their paths who need the products and opportunity It Works has to offer.

Kami wasn't the only one who was more concerned about blessing others and making a difference in their lives than she is about the paycheck she gets each month. 

I read Madra Jones' story -- which I heard in person when I met her earlier this month at a team meeting.  She was a successful businesswoman, owning 2 salons and a multi-unit complex, but she wanted more out of life.  She wanted to stay home with her kids, and so she sold her salons and business to do It Works full time.  Not only has she been able to spend more time with her family, she has "secured their future as well."  When asked what her WHY is in working for It Works, she answered, "My why is to change my children's future."

I knew about Kami and Madra, seeing as how they are the top 2 earners in this company.  As I continued to read, though, I met other great men and women who are also successful distributors.  Each story made me more and more confident in the foundation of this company, that the heart and soul is to CHANGE LIVES, to MAKE A DIFFERENCE.  And that is something that resonates with me, deeply.

I can say "amen," when I read how they want to "reach into people's lives and help them succeed."

"I want to help people dream again."
"I want to be in control of our time and to teach my kids to believe they can do anything."
"It Works means HOPE -- helping other people excel."
"We realize the significance of making a difference inn people's lives."
"We want to change our family's life for generations to come."
"It's about creating a legacy not just for our family but for as many families as we can."

Wow!!!  What a different perspective that I had anticipated.  Certainly not the money-hungry lust for "stuff" I was expecting.

Yes, these people may make a lot of money, BUT their hearts are made of gold.  And that's what truly matters.  At least to me.

When I started in February, my goal was to make enough money selling It Works so that I could "just" stay home and not have to do daycare.  I want to focus more on my own kids and enjoy the precious time I have with them.  I did want to have freedom of my time, to set my own schedule, to be able to go to the park, library, zoo, or wherever else whenever I wanted.

Beyond that, though, was a deep desire to bless others, to use the additional income to give to others in ways we have never been able to do.  I realize that you can bless others in ways that do not require money, but to be honest, more often than not finances play a big role in making a difference.

I see clips from the TV show "Secret Millionaire" and dream of being on the giving end of things.

I hear how a family is going to pay for my friend's family to take a dream vacation that would be otherwise impossible for them to ever afford in this lifetime.  And in my heart, I think, I want to be able to do that for someone.

I see daily posts from baby Caleb's family and Chase's family and can't imagine the medical bills they have accumulated already.  I would love to write them each a check for $10,000 and relieve them of that financial burden, because let's face it -- they have already dealt with way too much and don't need one more thing to worry about.

Just thinking about all the opportunities to help others, to make a difference in their lives, is causing me to tear up.  Part of that is probably pregnancy hormones, but an even bigger part is my heartfelt desire to show others just how big my God is.  I want them to see how much He loves them.  When they think of me, I don't want to be know for a crazy wrap or the money I made by selling It Works.  Rather, I want them to remember me as a woman who loved Jesus with every fiber of her being and how that love spilled over into every thing she did.  I want them to experience the rich, lavish, generous love of Jesus in practical, tangible ways. 

So, yes, I do want to make money as an It Works distributor.  It is a goal. 
BUT, it is certainly not my purpose.

Just like Kami, I want to help enhance others' lives.
And the best way to do that is to introduce them to Jesus.

If it takes a crazy wrap or some greens or whatever to do that, then I am definitely game!

Right now, I do believe God has placed It Works in my life to help me make a difference in those around me and those far away too.

I am confident in our products and their ability to help people change their lives as they invest in their health and are able to live life the absolute fullest.

I am also confident in our company and the impact we can have as we provide people of all walks of life an opportunity to be successful at this business.  In turn, countless families' lives will be changed and they can give back as they help make a difference in even more people's lives.

So, today, I am thankful I was given the assignment to read a simple magazine.  As I did, I was able to rethink what success truly means.

I close with some promises from Scripture God has laid on my heart as I dare to dream big and pray for Him to use me to make Him known:

Take delight in the Lord, and He will give you your heart's desires.
Commit everything you do the Lord.  Trust Him, and He will help you.
~Psalm 37:4-5

No eye has seen,
No ear has heard,
No mind has imagined
what God has prepared for those who love Him!
~1 Corinthians 2:9 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive