Thursday, September 22, 2011

No Strings Attached

They tell us in foster parenting class not to get too attached to the kiddos who are placed in our home. You never know exactly how long they are going to be with you, and at some point you will most likely have to say good-bye as they are either reunited with their parents (or other family members) or adopted by another family. Basically, good-byes are inevitable when you are involved in foster parenting.

We've already had to say good-bye once, but that situation was a little bit unique (at least I hope!).

If we have to say good-bye to T-Rex and X-Man, it's going to be totally different. I've only known these boys for a few days, but I am already invested. Deeply. My heart melts each time T-Rex gives me a hug or asks if he can kiss my baby. When X-Man reaches his arms up to me, wanting me to pick him up, my heart fills with love. I can't help it. They are pulling at my heart strings, big time.

And I know that this is supposed to be a "short-term" placement. As in, a court hearing is scheduled for Tuesday to determine if they get to go back to Mom or not. If not, they will stay with us for at least another 30 days, maybe longer. Like I said, you never know how long foster kiddos will be with you. You never know how long they will be part of your family.

But no matter how long they are with you, they capture part of your heart. Like these boys have mine.

And they say not to get attached...yeah right! If we have to say good-bye to these boys, cutting the strings is going to be hard. VERY HARD. And the longer they are with us, the thicker the strings become, and the tougher it will be to cut them. I'm not very good at the "no strings attached" mentality, at least when it comes to loving kiddos who are placed in my home.

But I would rather get tangled up in these strings of love than not. I would rather have the opportunity to become entwined in the cords of compassion and have my heart broken in the end than not have the chance to open my home, and my heart, to these precious kiddos. So I guess I am already in the process of getting myself in a mess of thread, twine, yarn, string, and anything else of the sort.

Here in the Young house, there simply can't be a "no strings attached" policy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive