Monday, September 19, 2011

An Oldie, But a Goodie

Psalm 23 is probably one of the first passages of Scripture little children who grow up in church learn, whether in Sunday school or at home. I know it was most likely one of the first passages I memorized. And it’s probably one of the most familiar Psalms, with most adults being able to quote, “The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want…”

Because this Psalm is so familiar, I think it tends to become less meaningful. Not that the words are not meaningful or powerful, they certainly are! However, we don’t stop to actually think about the words or what they are really saying. We just kind of think, Oh yeah, “The Lord is my Shepherd…” and go on to repeat the words we have known since childhood.

This past week, God brought this familiar Psalm to mind. He reminded to take time to think about each and every line, to apply these truths to my life, and to act on the precious promises He has given me.

The Lord is my shepherd,

God will take care of me. I am His sheep, and He takes the time to search for one lost sheep, so He will certainly make sure that I am safe and sound. I need not worry or fear, but simply follow wherever He leads. Not only is He my shepherd; He is the GOOD Shepherd. He laid down His life for me so that I could be His child, so I can be confident that He will continue to love and protect and care for me every day now that I am His daughter.

I shall not want.

God will meet every single one of my needs. I may not have everything I want, but I will definitely have all that I need. Not only that, God usually blesses me with more than enough. So be thankful for all that He has given me, all that He has done for me. Live in gratitude, for He has blessed me abundantly. I may feel as though I am in a state of “want” right now, but I am not. I have to remember what He taught me about perspective a few days ago. When I do that, I realize how truly rich I am!

He makes me lie down in green pastures

Green pastures, not dry brown ones. No, He takes me where the grass is lush and fresh, where there is plenty to eat. He shows me the good stuff and gives me what is best.

And leads me beside quiet waters.

Quiet waters, not rushing rivers that will pull me under. No, gentle streams where I can drink and be filled, where I can rest and be refreshed. This is especially timely given the message our pastor gave a couple weeks ago when he told the story of Jesus and His disciples caught in the storm. I mentioned how I could relate to the disciples feeling as if they were going to perish and drown in the raging waters. Yet, here I am reminded that God leads me beside quiet waters. Granted, the water is still moving; He wouldn’t take me to stagnant water that is putrid and contaminated. The water is fresh and delicious, satisfying my thirst. After all, He is the Living Water!

He refreshes my soul.

Ah, peace. New strength. Hope. He speaks to me and quiets my worried heart. He wipes away my tears. He comforts my anxious mind. He wraps His arms around me and invites me to sit at His feet, to lay all of my burdens down and enjoy sweet fellowship with Him. To rest in His presence. To “be still and know He is God.”

He guides me along the right paths, for His name’s sake.

He is guiding me, not letting me wander aimlessly. He has a plan, a purpose, one that is for His glory. And so, no matter how rocky or narrow or steep or uphill, the path I am on is the one He has led me down. AND He has come with me. Further, He will continue to be with me, every step of the way (as long as I keep on following His lead). Keep on following Him to see where He is taking me, and to find out how all of it will result in His glory (and my ultimate good).

Even though I walk through the darkest valley,

Yep, it sure feels like I am in a deep, dark valley. Yet, I can see because the Light of the World is guiding me. He is showing me glimpses of what is to come, of what is after this valley, of what we will see as we top the mountain up ahead. So, I am not alone. I can feel God holding my hand (like the song says, “Oh no, You never let go…You never let go of me!”) and guiding me each step of the way. And I have to keep on moving if I want to get through the valley. I can’t give up and quit because the going is tough. If I do that, I will stay in the valley. I want to climb this mountain and see the glorious future that lies ahead.

I will fear no evil, for You are with me.

The “Oh no, You never let go song,” seems to go perfectly with this line of the Psalm as later on we sang, “I will fear no evil, for my God is with me. And if my God is for me, whom then shall I fear?” As I sang, I pictured Satan up in my face as he has tried so hard to get me to fear and worry and doubt and give up through all that we have experienced recently. At times I certainly have done all of those things, but on Saturday night as I sang, I was punching Satan right in his ugly face and telling him, “Take that,” and “Get lost, loser!” It felt really, really good.

Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.

Discipline isn’t always fun at the time, but God does it for our good. I have no idea for sure why God has allowed us to go through this valley, but I know that I have learned quite a bit during this phase of the journey. I have come to depend on God in a way I never have before, to rely fully on Him, to see my utter and total need for Him. And as God has come through for us, I have been greatly comforted, and amazed. I have grown in my relationship with Him, in a way I never could have if I had not gotten into the boat and begun to “cross over to the other side” with Jesus.

You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.

God doesn’t wait for the enemy to leave, or for the bad times to necessarily end. Instead, He does good in the midst of them. And I have certainly experience that as God has not snapped His finger and “poof” made everything all better in one instant. Rather, He has daily met our needs and shown me that He is at work.

You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.

He doesn’t just meet my needs, He supplies in abundance. My cup overflows. I have more than enough. I am blessed beyond measure!

Surely Your goodness and mercy/love will follow me all the days of my life,

All the days of my life, including this one, including this entire time of difficulty. God doesn’t disappear when times are tough. He doesn’t abandon me when I encounter trials. No, He pours out His faithfulness fresh every day. He shows me His goodness in ways I had never experienced before this. He helps me appreciate Him all the more!

And I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.

What a promise! No matter what may come here on earth, my future is certain. And it is worth any struggle or trouble I face during this life. 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

Wow, I don’t think I thought through the Psalm like that when I memorized it so many years ago. I am glad God helped me slow down and take it line by line so that I could fully appreciate the meaning of David’s words. And apply them to my life, holding on to these precious promises and living each day as though I believe them to be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive