Monday, September 12, 2011

The Other Side

This weekend at church our pastor talked about the story when Jesus calmed the winds and the waves. You know the one...Jesus fell asleep and was taking a nap during one of the most horrific storms His disciples had ever seen, seeming to leave them on their own to handle such a dire situation.

As usual, and as our pastor says, "Where you are at in life is where you are at in the Word." So, so, so true.

Now this is one of those stories where you can know it backwards and forwards, teach the Sunday school lesson complete with flannel graph illustrations, and still learn something when you read it for the 10,000th time. In fact, I learned (or was reminded) of quite a few valuable lessons. Of course I felt obligated to share them with you :)

First lesson: In the version we used at church the story begins, "Now on one of those days, Jesus said to His disciples, 'Let's cross over to the other side of the lake.'" Pastor Michael talked about how he loved that it was "one of those days" and mentioned how some of us probably feel like we are having one of those days, or maybe even one of those weeks, or months, or lives really. Lawrence and I can certainly relate to the feeling of being in the midst of one of THOSE times right now. Work is kind of stressful for Lawrence, I have less daycare kiddos than planned so the budget is super tight, and we are getting ready for a new addition to the family, who know life goes. But, even on "one of the THOSE days," Jesus had a purpose for all that He did, a plan that would result in massive amounts of glory being brought to His name. Good to know that even on the seeming worst days (or weeks, months, etc) God can do His thing! :) And little did the disciples know what was ahead of them. Just think, "one of those days" was just about to turn into "one of THOSE days!"

Second Lesson: Jesus had a plan, a purpose, even if His disciples didn't know it. And it was a specific plan and purpose, though it may not have seemed like it in the midst of the storm that was to come. He didn't suggest, "Hey, let's go out for a sail and see where the wind takes us." He didn't shrug His shoulders and sigh, "Well, we've got nothing better to do. Let's hop in the boat." No, He specifically instructed His disciples, "Let's cross over to the other side of the lake." He must have wanted to get to the other side of the lake for a reason. He must have needed to be there in order to do a specific thing, something His Father wanted Him to do (as all that Jesus did was done in obedience to His Father). He didn't divulge this information to His disciples, however. He just told them, "Let's go to the other side." And Jesus doesn't always tell us every detail of His plans either. But that's probably a good thing. If the disciples had known that once they got in a boat and were on their way to the "other side of the lake" that they would experience a deadly storm and almost lose their lives, I'm not so sure they would have been very eager to hop in the boat and set sail, even if Jesus was going to be with them. And it's the same with us. If we knew every storm that was coming our way, we would probably run in the opposite direction. We wouldn't jump up and down and be giddy with excitement about the trials about to take place in our lives. God knows this about us, and wisely chooses not to reveal every aspect of His plan. This is hard for planners like me. I like to know all the details, but God knows better. In fact, He knows best. So He just says, "Sarah, let's go to the other side." And my job is to get in the boat and go with Jesus.

Third Lesson: Or maybe just a continuation of the second one, but either way...Sometimes I may not feel like going to the "other side." I am comfortable and content right where I am. Why do I need to go to the "other side?" What's so special about the "other side?" This side is just fine, thank you very much. Therein the problem lies. I get used to my situation, feel good about life, and go about things without much thought or concern. I don't have to rely fully on God, or trust Him completely, or realize that I am totally dependent on Him. And so God says, "Sarah, let's go to the other side." Of course it's not just about what is on the "other side," but what He has to teach me along the way, as we journey together to reach the "other side." I certainly feel like I am on my way to the "other side" right about now. And I am beginning to feel a lot like the disciples did as the winds began to blow and the waves began to toss their boat higher and higher. I am beginning to feel like this nice little boat ride to the "other side" has turned into a nightmare of a trip, one that just might be the end of me.

Fourth Lesson: God may seem silent at times. Often it's at the times when we feel like we need Him most. Say, in the midst of a deadly storm. And what is Jesus doing while the disciples bail water out of their boat as fast as they can? Taking a nap! How can He be sleeping through this?! Doesn't He care that His closest friends are so close to dying?! Why isn't He up helping them? Can't He just make the whole thing stop with the snap of His fingers? So why is He doing absolutely nothing?!! Yep, I feel a whole lot like the disciples right now. I am crying out to God, waiting for Him to answer, trusting Him to help me (and knowing in my head that He will), but seemingly getting no response. I feel like I am beginning to drown and yet don't feel God's hand reaching out to pull me up out of the water. And I wonder, why isn't God doing anything? Why is He letting me experience this terrible time? Why is He allowing this to happen? What exactly is His good and perfect plan in all of this?

Fifth (and final) Lesson: What seems absolutely impossible to us is totally possible (and quite easy) for God. The disciples rush to Jesus and shake Him, waking Him up from His nice little nap. "We're perishing!" they cry out. Jesus doesn't jump up and act startled. He's not taken aback by the situation. He's not the least bit worried, concerned, or frightened. He might as well be in the middle of a seamless lake enjoying a gentle breeze as He waits for a fish to nibble His bait. He just gets up, rebukes the wind and the waves, and takes care of business. Simple. Done. Lickty-split. Piece of cake. So it would seem to Jesus, as He turns to His disciples and asks, "Where is your faith?" What was the big deal? What was all the fuss about? I'm right here with you. I've got it covered. Remember, I'm the one who suggested that we go to the other side of the lake. Do you think I wouldn't have gotten us there safely? And so the disciples are left speechless, in awe of Jesus, the one whom the winds and waves obey.
One little word and everything is as calm as can be. No one would have ever guessed that they had just been in the midst of a deadly storm, feeling like they were about ready to die. How true is that of the storms in my life right now? And so I just wait for Jesus to say the word, for Him to make everything all nice and calm. Like the disciples, though, I don't know how long the storm is going to last. But I do know several things for certain: the storm won't last forever, Jesus is with me, and not only that, He is the one who told me to go to the other side and will make sure that I get there. As Philippians 1:6 reminds me, "And I am sure that God, who began a good work within you, will continue His work until it is finally finished on that day when Christ Jesus comes back again."

At the beginning I said that God always has a plan and a purpose. He certainly did in this story. Jesus really did have to get to the other side of the lake, for there He would do some incredible things. He frees a demon-possessed man by sending the demons into a herd of pigs, heals a woman who has been bleeding internally for 12 long years, and raises Jarius' daughter from the dead! Then, He empowered His disciples to cast out demons and sent them out to teach and heal in the villages. Soon after that, He multiplied a little boy's lunch to feed over 5,000 people! Good thing He went to the other side of the lake! And so we see that God did have a specific plan and purpose for "crossing to the other side." Not only did God get massive amounts of glory when Jesus calmed the storm, but also when He performed these miracles "on the other side of the lake."

I rest in knowing that good things awaited "on the other side." And as our pastor encouraged us, when God seems silent, we need to remember what He has spoken (that He was the one who told us to go to the other side, that He is with us along the way, etc.). So I cling to two verses that God has given me recently, and in quite random ways. One was the Bible verse of the day on my Daily Bible app and popped up on my phone one morning. The second was K-Love's Encouraging Word of the Day that I heard on the radio just as I returned to my car after a delightful trip to Wal-Mart. How awesome that He spoke these words long ago, but they are just the promises I need at just this time in my life!

Romans 8:32, "Since God did not spare even His own Son but gave Him up for us all, won't God, who gave us Christ, also give us everything else?"

Isaiah 65:23-24, "They will not work in vain, and their children will not be doomed to misfortune. For they are people blessed by the Lord, and their children, too, will be blessed. I will answer them before they even call to me. While they are still talking to me about their needs, I will go ahead and answer their prayers!"

I have to remember not to make the mistake that Peter did as he was walking on the water during a storm. He was doing just fine and dandy, walking on water for Pete's sake (ha! ha!), until he took his eyes off Jesus and focused on the storm around him. My focus has to remain on Jesus, and Him alone. As the author of Hebrews urges us, "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, on whom our faith depends from start to finish."

I don't want Jesus to look at me and ask, "Where is your faith?" Why are you doubting me? Don't you trust me? No, no, no...I want Him to say of me, like He did of the centurion, "I have never seen faith like this before." And so I feel like the man who cried out, "I do believe! Help my unbelief!"

Thus, I choose today to set my eyes on Jesus as He leads me (and walks with me the entire way) to the "other side," wherever that may be, whatever storms arise along the way, and whatever adventures await once we arrive.

Oh yeah, and to God be the glory as His perfect plans and purposes unfold on this journey to the "other side."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive